The WFR Honda rider set the fastest time of the session with a one minute 26.264 in his final lap to edge fellow title hopeful Shane Byrne into second place by almost half a second in the dry conditions.
Buildbase BMW's Barry Burrell was third fastest, while Josh Brookes - Byrne's nearest challenger for the title, just nine points behind in the series - was fourth quickest.
Supersonic BMW's Tommy Bridewell had been running well in fifth place early in the session but crashed out and dropped down the rankings after being sent for routine checks.
Second practice session times
1. Alex LOWES GBR Honda - Team WFR 1:26.264
2. Shane BYRNE GBR Kawasaki - Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki 1:26.689
3. Barry BURRELL GBR BMW - Buildbase BMW Motorrad 1:26.731
4. Josh BROOKES AUS Suzuki - Tyco Suzuki 1:27.001
5. Karl HARRIS GBR Kawasaki - Quattro Plant Kawasaki Superbike Team 1:27.090
6. James WESTMORELAND GBR Honda - Team WFR 1:27.115
7. Michael LAVERTY GBR Honda - Samsung Honda 1:27.327
8 Tommy HILL GBR Yamaha - Swan Yamaha 1:27.362
9. Tommy BRIDEWELL GBR BMW - Supersonic Racing Team 1:27.401 10 9 Chris WALKER GBR Kawasaki - Pr1mo Bournemouth Kawasaki Racing 1:27.467
British Eurosport is the Home of Bikes, showing all MotoGP, World Superbike and British Superbike races on Sky channels 410 and 411 and Virgin Media channels 521 and 525 as well as eurosportplayer.co.uk
- Sports & Recreation
- Josh Brookes