Marsh says couldn't believe his inclusion in Oz Test squad for South Africa

ANI

Melbourne, Jan 21 (ANI): Shaun Marsh has said he couldn't quite believe the news that he had been included in Australia's 15-man Test squad to tour South Africa next month.

The 30-year-old was given news of his selection by chief national selector John Inverarity during a phone conversation on Saturday night.

Marsh averages 31 in the Sheffield Shield this season, below both Phil Hughes and George Bailey, the unfortunate batsmen left out of the squad.

His last Test series was against India in 2011-12 where he made scores of 0, 3, 0, 11, 3 and 0.

Marsh said he was in a pretty bad space to be honest - it was a terrible series for him, and added that he never thought he would get back as he had to return back to the basics and start from scratch.

After a series of alcohol-fuelled incidents Marsh knew he had to change his lifestyle and he credits his mentor, Justin Langer, with helping him to do that.

Marsh is grateful to have Langer's influence at Western Australia and Darren Lehmann's guidance in the national setup. (ANI)

View Comments