Formula 1 - New doubts over New Jersey Grand Prix

New doubts have been raised over the planned 2013 New Jersey Formula 1 street race after Bernie Ecclestone revealed the existing contract for the race had been annulled.

AutoSport
Formula 1 - New Jersey on expanded 2014 calendar
.

View photo

New Jersey will host a round of the Formula One world championship from 2013 (Reuters)

The provisional 2013 schedule circulated during last weekend's Singapore Grand Prix had the second American event slated for a mid-June date.

That was despite previous suggestions of the New Jersey project encountering difficulties, and the departure of its chief Tom Cotter in August.

Ecclestone was quoted by the Guardian as saying New Jersey organisers "have not complied with the terms and conditions of the contract which is now gone anyway. They don't have a contract."

But although the 2013 calendar is set to be finalised at an FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting on Friday, Ecclestone said there was still hope for New Jersey.

"We are pretty close to the final deadline," he said. "We have got a world council meeting coming up.

"I think if somebody got behind them it could happen in 2013 because they have come a long way with the circuit."

F1 will return to America after a five-year absence with the inaugural race at Austin's Circuit of the Americas in November.

View Comments