Swiftly after it emerged that United had turned down an offer for Rooney, the Blues issued a statement for clarity, in which they blame Manchester United for leaking the offer to the press while on their pre-season tour of Australia.
The reports on Wednesday morning indicated that either the Spaniard, the player of the season at Stamford Bridge for the last two years, or the Brazilian Luiz, were offered in addition to £10m.
"Chelsea Football Club can confirm that yesterday it made a written offer to Manchester United for the transfer of Wayne Rooney," the statement read.
"Although the terms of that offer are confidential, for the avoidance of doubt and contrary to what is apparently being briefed to the press in Sydney, the proposed purchase does not include the transfer or loan of any players from Chelsea to Manchester United."
After the Blues' 1-0 friendly win over Singha All-Star XI, Mourinho was grilled about his pursuit of the England star in the ensuing press conference.
When asked if Chelsea were bidding for anyone else, Mourinho simply replied: "No."
And when he was then asked if it's 'Rooney or bust' for him this summer, the Portuguese coach's response was just as straightforward: "Yes."
Rooney’s future is uncertain after it emerged he was “angry and confused” at his recent treatment by United, following suggestions from David Moyes that he will play second fiddle to Robin van Persie next season.
On Tuesday, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said during the club's pre-season tour of Thailand that Rooney's problems at United would have wider implications for England.
"If Wayne is a second choice for Manchester United, then the national team will be affected," said Mourinho, who also admitted last week that Rooney was "a player I like."
- Sports & Recreation
- Manchester United
- Wayne Rooney
- Chelsea Football Club