Chelsea to bid £40m for Rooney: Jose Mourinho, who has already had a £30m offer rebuffed, is desperate to make Rooney the centrepiece of his attack at Stamford Bridge according to the Mail on Sunday. The paper says Rooney remains eager to leave Old Trafford after a turbulent year with United. After falling down the pecking order behind Robin van Persie, Rooney was reportedly stung by Sir Alex Ferguson's claim that he had requested a transfer. He appeared set to rebuild bridges with new manager David Moyes, but was left "angry and confused" by Moyes's remark that he was a back-up to Van Persie.
Paper Round's view: Mourinho has long been an admirer of Rooney's, and would love to make a 'statement' signing, taking a high-profile star from one of Chelsea's main rivals. Rooney would be likely to play the star role Van Persie denies him at Old Trafford. Strikers Fernando Torres and Demba Ba have not convinced, while Romelu Lukaku - who impressed on loan at West Bromwich Albion last season - perhaps lacks the experience to be Chelsea's first-choice striker. However, it is likely United will want to keep this bid on shelf until they have a marquee signing of their own lined up. They won't want the first big move of the Moyes era to be a high profile departure.
Rooney: I want to stay at United: There is a contrasting story in the Daily Star that says Rooney actually wants to stay at United. The paper says Rooney has been hurt by constant talk that he is determined to leave Old Trafford, that the United fans' reaction is not thought to be a major issue for him, and that he is ready to shrug off any ill-conceived shows of dissent.
Paper Round's view: Even this report claiming Rooney is happy does not discount the transfer, adding that Chelsea hope to tempt him away. The Star does say Rooney would reject a move abroad to Monaco or PSG but that Chelsea could be a goer. It will do no good to Rooney's reputation to make it appear as if he is angling for a move but there certainly seems to be reason why Chelsea are making these bids – they must be confident they can land the player.
United will turn to Schweinsteiger if final Fabregas bid fails: Manchester United will set their sights on Bayern Munich star Bastian Schweinsteiger if a third bid for Barcelona’s Cesc Fabregas fails this week, reports the Sunday Mirror. The paper says the Premier League champions have become aware of whispers in Germany that Schweinsteiger may not fit into Pep Guardiola’s new Bavarian blueprint. And with United looking for top-class midfield alternatives should a final attempt to prise Fabregas away from the Nou Camp be unsuccessful, the 29-year-old German would fit the bill perfectly.
Paper Round's view: Fabregas was always going to be a tough get for United but talk of a move for Schweinsteiger seems even more fanciful. There really has been no indication that he wants to leave Bayern and he was arguably the key player in their treble winning season last time out. We just can't see this one happening.
Furious Tottenham refuse to meet Real: Tottenham Hotspur will refuse to hold further talks with Real Madrid over the sale of Gareth Bale until the Spanish club substantially increase their world record-breaking offer for the Wales international, according to the Sunday Telegraph. Although there was an acceptance at the Premier League club last week that Bale’s departure was inevitable it is understood that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has hardened his position having been angered by Real’s increasingly aggressive, and public, pursuit of the player. Real, for their part, are prepared to increase their offer and will bid closer to £100 million although it is unclear exactly what Spurs’ valuation is for Bale. Real have also offered to reconstitute the bid to include players, with the Portuguese international Fabio Coentrao and the Argentinian Ángel di María mentioned as possible makeweights. It would appear, however, that Tottenham would only be interested in a straight cash offer.
Paper Round's view: Tottenham and Real are involved in a high stakes poker game here. It seems inevitable now that Bale will move to Madrid but Levy is determined to squeeze as much money out of Real as possible. This would be a risky tactic in most cases but Real have made it so clear that it is Bale or bust this summer that the Tottenham chairman might just get his way in the end.
Suarez is top Spurs target: Tottenham are already making arrangements on how to spend the revenue generated from the sale of Gareth Bale to Real Madrid, according to the Sunday Times. They are considering a bid for unsettled Liverpool striker Luis Suarez and Colombia international Jackson Martinez as they plan to reinvest the income from Gareth Bale’s pending transfer to Real Madrid. Andre Villas-Boas is also seeking reinforcements in defence and on the wing to mitigate the world-record sale.
Paper Round's view: Suarez seems like a pipe dream signing for Tottenham. Liverpool would show the same reluctance to sell to them as they have with Arsenal, while the player himself has made it clear he wants Champions League football. Porto striker Martinez looks a more likely option, although Spurs would have to break their transfer record again to land him – his release clause is €40 (£34.4m) and Porto won't sell him for cheaper.
- Sports & Recreation
- Gareth Bale
- Cesc Fabregas
- Real Madrid