RaboDirect Pro12 - Dragons cut down by Treviso

Newport Gwent Dragons remain in trouble at the foot of the RaboDirect PRO12 standings after going down to a 32-13 defeat against Treviso at Stadio Comunale di Monigo.

PA Sport
RaboDirect Pro12 - Dragons cut down by Treviso

View photo

Wales' Tom Prydie waits on the wing against Italy during their Six Nations rugby union match at Millennium Stadium in Cardiff

Tom Prydie scored a try and kicked the rest of the Dragons' points but the visitors had no answer to the greater attacking threat of the Italians, who ran in tries by Edoardo Gori, Christian Loamanu (2), Luke McLean and Tobias Botes.

The Dragons went ahead in the second minute as Prydie kicked his first penalty of the day, but Gori crossed for Treviso's opening try seven minutes later, with Alberto Di Bernardo adding the extras.

Di Bernardo's penalty further extended the home side's lead before Prydie reduced the deficit.

Loamanu crossed on 25 minutes to restore Treviso's cushion, while McLean added a third try before the break. Di Bernardo missed both conversions to restrict the hosts to a 20-6 half-time advantage.

Loamanu added his second try two minutes after the restart before Prydie crossed for the Dragons' sole try of the afternoon on 52 minutes.

Will Harries saw red after 61 minutes as the Dragons' discipline started to waver, and Treviso sealed the victory in the 72nd minute as Botes went over.

Edinburgh outscored Connacht by three tries to two in the RaboDirect PRO12 as they picked up just their second away victory since January.

Tim Visser, Matt Scott and Stuart McInally all crossed for the Scottish side in Galway, with Willie Faloon and Danie Poolman touching down for the hosts.

Greig Laidlaw provided the assists for the Scott and McInally tries, in addition to his kicking haul of three conversions and a penalty, as Edinburgh edged the contest 24-23.

Former Scotland outside-half Dan Parks, who finished with 13 points, had a late chance to win it for Connacht but his drop-goal effort shaved the right-hand post.

Man of the match Fergus McFadden scored two of Leinster's five tries as they earned a 37-7 bonus-point victory in their first meeting with Zebre in the RaboDirect PRO12.

Andrew Conway and Jonathan Sexton touched down in the first half at the RDS, McFadden's brace followed after the break and Cian Healy also crossed having been sprung from the bench.

The Italians threatened at various intervals through wingers Leonardo Sarto and Sinoti Sinoti, and got a deserved try in the 48th minute from scrum-half Tito Tebaldi.

CJ Stander marked his home debut for Munster with two tries as they bagged a late bonus point in the 31-3 win over Glasgow Warriors in Limerick.

The South African flanker lunged over from a close-in ruck for his first, but his second – nearing half-time – was a dazzling diagonal run out of the Munster 22 that saw him outpace the Glasgow chasers.

His back-row colleague Tommy O'Donnell sandwiched a try in between, leaving the province 24-3 ahead at the break with Ronan O'Gara landing three conversions and a penalty.

DTH van der Merwe went closest to crossing the whitewash for the Warriors, who leaked a penalty try to the hosts with six minutes remaining, which O'Gara converted.

Scotland international Duncan Weir, back after a two-month injury lay-off, got off to an inauspicious start at Thomond Park as his kick-off went straight into touch.

But Weir and half-back partner Henry Pyrgos duly settled in and the former kicked the Warriors ahead in the fourth minute, punishing Donncha O'Callaghan for not rolling away.

Munster replied soon after, using quick lineout ball to spring the strong-running O'Donnell through a gap. He was brought down short of the line, but Stander dived over the top of the ruck to get the try he narrowly missed out last week against the Scarlets.

O'Gara's conversion was followed by a solid response from the Scottish team, with Van der Merwe going close to scoring in the left corner and Weir missing a drop-goal attempt.

Mistakes from Munster went unpunished as the visitors struggled to add to Weir's opening kick, and it was Rob Penney's men who finished the first half strongly.

The returning James Coughlan passed for O'Donnell to fend off two would-be tacklers and sprint in under the posts for a smashing solo try, converted by O'Gara.

O'Gara added a penalty awarded against Mike Cusack for obstruction, before man of the match Stander turned defence into attack on a memorable charge towards the right corner.

The conversion from wide out was no problem to O'Gara but, as the pace and intensity slackened off in the second period, Munster left it late to claim their bonus point.

Glasgow danger man Van der Merwe was denied by a Simon Zebo challenge in the corner for the second time.

Territorially, Munster were able to keep the visitors at arm's length for the remainder and, with replacement James Eddie kicking the ball out of an advancing five-metre scrum, the province finished the night with a five-point return.

View Comments (0)