Red Bull confident fuelling issue solved

Autosport

Red Bull says revised garage procedures and detailed equipment checks should ensure there is no repeat of the fuelling problem that hit Sebastian Vettel in qualifying at Abu Dhabi.

Vettel was excluded from qualifying at the Yas Marina circuit after the FIA discovered he had less than the mandatory one-litre of fuel on board his car at the end of his Q3 effort.

The team was unsure at the time what had happened, as it was convinced that Vettel had been given enough petrol to complete his qualifying effort and in-lap.

However, subsequent investigations pointed to a problem with the team's fuelling equipment causing the issue - with less petrol going into the car than the outfit had believed at the time.

Red Bull boss Christian Horner said on Thursday that the most likely explanation for the matter was a calibration issue with the equipment – and that his outfit and engine partner Renault had worked hard to ensure that there would be no repeat in the future.

"As with all these things, when the margins are so fine, there is no absolute smoking gun," he told AUTOSPORT in regard to the outcome of Red Bull's investigations in to the matter.

"But it looks like the expected quantity of fuel in the car wasn't in the car by 150ml.

"So, together with Renault, we have conducted a full review of all of our policies, learned from it and moved on."

Horner said that both Red Bull and Renault had taken the matter extremely seriously, and he was confident that it was now dealt with.

"We have run an awful lot of checks to ensure that a situation like that does not happen again," he said.

View Comments