Reports: Chisora to face Haye this summer

Frank Warren will announce a British heavyweight fight between Dereck Chisora and David Haye next week despite neither boxer holding a licence, reports claim.

Eurosport

Warren has announced a press conference at West Ham's football stadium Upton Park for next Tuesday when the fight will be announced according to ESPN boxing writer Dan Rafael and Sky Sports News.

Chisora had his boxing licence withdrawn indefinitely by the British Boxing Board of Control after he was involved in an explosive spat with Haye in the press conference following his world title fight against Vitali Klitschko in Munich last February.

Chisora had also slapped the world champion Klitschko at the weigh-in, and spat at his brother and fellow champion Wladimir in the moments before the fight.

Haye was not disciplined for his role in the incident as he retired from the sport after losing to Wladimir in Hamburg last year.

In March Warren, who promotes Chisora, claimed a grudge bout between the pair was ‘inevitable’ after Chisora began his appeal against the withdrawal of his licence.

"It's a natural fight, it doesn't matter what anyone says," Warren said. "It's a bigger fight than either of them fighting Wladimir or Vitali Klitschko. There's lot for them to fight about, in a proper environment.

"I do see the fight happening. It's the proper forum for them to settle their differences."

Now it looks as if he is going to try and push through the fight to take place at Upton Park with the dates July 1st and 14th rumoured to possibilities if Warren can get both fighters sanctioned.

If the fight does take place it is likely to be part of a double bill with WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns set to defend this world title against popular East Londoner and West Ham fan Kevin Mitchell.

Follow live text commentary from Miguel Cotto v Floyd Mayweather and Saul Alvarez v Shane Mosley on Eurosport Yahoo! from approximately 4am in the early hours of Sunday morning.

View Comments (0)