* Born in Saginaw, Michigan, on Sept. 26, 1981. (Age 31)
* Turned professional in September 1995.
16 GRAND SLAM SINGLES TITLES
* Australian Open 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010; French Open 2002, 2013; Wimbledon 2002, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2012; U.S. Open 1999, 2002, 2008; 2012
* Williams is sixth on the list of female Grand Slam title winners.
* One of only five women, after Maureen Connolly, Margaret Court, Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf, to hold all four Grand Slam titles at the same time. The non-calendar year achievement in 2002-03 was dubbed the 'Serena Slam'. She beat her older sister Venus in each of the four finals.
* Has also won 13 women's Grand Slam doubles titles with Venus and has four Olympic gold medals: singles (2012), doubles (2000, 2008, 2012).
* At the 2009 U.S. Open, Williams was fined $175,000 and placed on a two-year probation for unsportsmanlike behaviour in her semi-final loss to Kim Clijsters.
* Missed the U.S. Open in 2010 because of medical complications after cutting her foot on glass while celebrating her win at Wimbledon.
* In 2011, had surgery after a life-threatening blood clot was detected on her lung. Made the U.S. Open final but lost to Australia's Samantha Stosur.
* Saturday's French Open final win extended her winning streak to 31 matches.
* She is the fourth woman, since tennis turned professional in 1968, to win each Major at least twice after Chris Evert, Steffi Graf and Martina Navratilova.
- Sports & Recreation
- Martina Navratilova
- Steffi Graf