Carlos Tevez could be a step nearer to pulling on a Manchester City shirt again after apologising "sincerely and unreservedly" for his recent conduct.
In a statement issued by the Barclays Premier League leaders on Tuesday night, the Argentinian also withdrew his appeal against a fine of six weeks' wages relating to the unauthorised three-month absence he ended last week.
The 28-year-old said: "I wish to apologise sincerely and unreservedly to everybody I have let down and to whom my actions over the last few months have caused offence. My wish is to concentrate on playing football for Manchester City Football Club."
Manager Roberto Mancini, who had long maintained the player must apologise to be considered for selection again, has not yet responded but Tevez has now made it clear he wants to end a lengthy saga.
Tevez has not played for City since he was accused of refusing to warm up during the Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich on September 27.
Mancini said Tevez was "finished" at the club as a result and the dispute escalated when the player then flew to Argentina without permission on November 7.
While away Tevez hoped to secure a move but City refused to lower their asking price, believed to be around £25million, or consider a loan deal before the closure of the January transfer window.
With no transfer possible on those terms, Tevez reported back to the club last Tuesday but did not meet with Mancini, who flew to Portugal the following day for the Europa League game against Porto. City were not then in action last weekend and Mancini gave the players time off, putting back a possible reunion until early this week.
And it appeared peace might finally have broken out by the evening as City issued a statement, which read: "Carlos Tevez has today apologised to all concerned for his recent conduct. Carlos returned to the football club last Tuesday, following a three-month absence from duties, without permission.
"Carlos has also withdrawn his appeal against the club's finding of gross misconduct which was due to be heard by a Premier League panel in the coming days. He has since begun a training programme designed to return him to optimum fitness."