Williams ponders Ospreys future

PA Sport
Shane Williams
.

View photo

Shane Williams

Shane Williams says he will make a decision on whether to extend his playing contract with the Ospreys within "the next couple of weeks".

The 34-year-old winger brought down the curtain on his Test career in memorable fashion by extending his Welsh try scoring record to 58 with his touchdown in the final moments of Saturday's 24-18 Millennium Stadium defeat to Australia.

Having made the decision to step down from the international game Williams will now turn his focus solely to the Ospreys, the region he has played for since their inception in 2003.

The arch-finisher currently has 18 months remaining on his deal with the Liberty Stadium side, but Williams has said he has been offered an extension that would keep him playing beyond his 37th birthday until the summer of 2014.

Williams has previously stated his desire to remain as part of the Ospreys set-up after he decides to hang up his boots for good, but is still weighing up whether to extend his playing career beyond 2013.

He said: "My affiliation is with the Ospreys, it has been for a long time and I would love to continue to be affiliated with them when I finish. If I am unlucky enough not to be part of a successful Ospreys side that wins the Heineken Cup then I would like to be involved after I finish to make sure the Ospreys win it, even if it's not with me playing.

"It's a difficult position because I have said in two years it will be the end of my contract. The option is there, it is something I have thought about and it is not something I have thought about lightly.

"I would love to remain with the Ospreys as long as I can but as far as a playing contract goes I don't know at the moment and it's something I will think about and hopefully sort out within the next couple of weeks."

Williams' current Ospreys deal happens to end just before the British and Irish Lions tour Australia, but the three-quarter believes making a third tour would be "a step too far" and cannot see himself following the example of the likes of Neil Back and Lawrence Dallaglio, who made themselves available for the 2005 trip to New Zealand despite having stood down from England duty.

"I certainly enjoyed my Lions tours and I would love to think I would be playing good enough rugby in 2013 but I think it would be a step too far. I think some people would not be too happy if I started playing for the Lions in 2013 having not played for Wales," he said.

View Comments (0)