Wolves ready for survival 'war'

PA Sport
Matt Jarvis
.

View photo

Matt Jarvis

Winger Matt Jarvis insists Wolves are ready to "go to war" in the battle to preserve their Barclays Premier League status for a fourth successive season.

Jarvis received the club's man-of-the-match award for the second successive match but he took little satisfaction after the 5-0 home drubbing by Manchester United.

It pushed caretaker boss Terry Connor's side into bottom spot on goal difference from Wigan. But Jarvis is adamant Wolves will not give up hope despite leaking 19 goals in their past five games. Jarvis said: "We're very disappointed with yesterday (Sunday) when United punished us just about with every attack they had."

He added: "But we'll keep going and keep working hard and show everyone we're not going to give in. Our heads never dropped and that's what we are all about.

"We still feel we can stay up and can take belief that we never gave up and will go into the next game trying to put things right. We're a very positive side and we'll go into the next game (at Norwich) ready to go to war again."

Jarvis believes Wolves can take belief from having twice previously won the battle to stay up and last season it was achieved with only three minutes remaining via Stephen Hunt's goal against Blackburn.

The one time England player said: "It always helps when you've been there and done it before and it was fantastic to stay up for the last two years. Hopefully we can use that experience of getting out of it to good effect this time as well and do the same again."

Jarvis has started to demonstrate the form which won him his only England cap to date against Ghana 12 months ago. But he said: "Although I'm pleased I'm playing well, it's not about me, it's about the team and making sure we're a Premier League side at the end of the season.

"It's still in our own hands. We've got nine games left and we're going to go into every single one of them at full pelt and making sure we get something from the games."

Jarvis admits the sending-off of right-back Ronald Zubar after 40 minutes for two bookable offences, with United only leading 1-0, was a pivotal moment. He said: "I thought we started the game well and, even when 1-0 down, we were very much in the game. But going down to 10 men against a great team like United is very hard."

View comments (0)