South Africa has suspended eight police officers after the death of a man they had bound to a vehicle and dragged through a busy street. The incident, which was recorded by a bystander and the video given to a local newspaper, occurred in the Daveyton township east of Johannesburg, led to protests against police brutality. South Africa’s Minister of Police launched an investigation after the amateur footage emerged. The original police report said that the man – Mido Macia, a 27-year-old taxi driver originally from Mozambique – had been arrested for obstructing traffic and resisting arrest. He died in detention. An initial post-mortem showed he had head injuries and suffered internal bleeding. ‘Disturbing and unacceptable’ President Jacob Zuma and opposition politicians have condemned the incident, caught on video on Tuesday and broadcast nationwide on Thursday. “The visuals of the incident are horrific, disturbing and unacceptable. No human being should be treated in that manner,” Zuma said of what he called “the tragic death of a man in the hands of the police”. It was the latest in a series of scandals to hit South Africa’s police force in recent months. The lead detective in the murder case against Olympic and Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius was removed from the investigation when it emerged he was facing seven attempted murder charges for allegedly opening fire on a minibus full of passengers. Police shot dead 34 striking workers at a platinum mine in August last year – the deadliest security incident since apartheid ended in 1994. More than 1,200 people a year die while in South African police custody.