|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
|J Del Potro||6||6||7||6||-|
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 6-3 7-5 6-4 - GAME, SET & MATCH - Del Potro is through to the second round after a three-and-a half-hour clash against Karlovic. The Argentine, who will face Blaz Kavic in the second round, remains on course for a potential fire-cracker of a clash against Djokovic in the third round. You know what to do for the full men's drawsheet
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 6-3 7-5 2-1 - BREAK - A heavy forehand winner from Del Potro after he had worked his way around the ball, sees the Argentine break. It looks as though he's broken the back of this match now, unless Karlovic can bounce back
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 6-3 7-5 1-1 - Del Potro has been struggling with his smashes today and raises his arms as if to say "at last" when he finally finds a smash winner before going ton to hold and keep the early stages of this fourth set level
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 6-3 7-5 - SET - Del Potro is slowly but surely getting control of this clash as he serves out the set to take the lead and put the pressure firmly on Karlovic
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 6-3 6-5 - BREAK - Outstanding play from Del Potro as he produces a great backhand return of serve that involves a full pirouette before finding a cross court forehand passing shot winner to earn himself a couple of break points. They both go begging as does a third but he finally gets it at the fourth attempt when Karlovic sends a cross court forehand just wide
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 6-3 5-5 - Del Potro holds to love to stay in the set, a huge first serve doing the business for the Argentine
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 6-3 4-4 - Another couple of holds apeice over on Court 1 as this third set reaches crunch point between two of the biggest hitters in the men's game
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 6-3 3-3 - Del Potro is forced to save a couple of break points as, which he does will a big first serve that Karlovic can only return long. And the Argentine goes on from there to hold and level up once again. He's struggling a bit though
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 6-3 2-2 - Del Potro sneaks through a hold, finding a great second serve just when he needs it, to level up once again. This match is going to come down to who can hit the ball harder!
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 6-3 1-2 - Guess what? Yep, things are still going with serve as Karlovic leaps up to an attempted lob from Del Porto and slams down a smash that the Argentine cannot return.
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 6-3 - SET - Del Potro ruthless on serve to hold it to love and level the match at one set all.
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 5-3 - Karlovic holds but now has to break to remain in this set.
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 5-2 - Del Potro one games away from levelling matters.
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 4-2 - Karlovic wins his service game after a long deuce exchange during which Del Potro seemed set to move further ahead.
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 4-1 - Another hold as Del Potro coasts towards the second set.
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 3-1 - Karlovic rediscovers his serving mojo to get on the board in this set.
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 3-0 - And little trouble for him to move three games clear.
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 2-0 - BREAK - The first break of the match puts Del Potro in the driving seat in the second set.
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7) 1-0 - Del Potro digs in to open the second set with a service game.
- - Key opening set stats (Del Potro/Karlovic): Aces 1/9; Unforced errors 6/9. They are pretty equal in all other areas.
- - DEL POTRO 6-7(7-9) - SET - Long and wide from Del Potro to give Karlovic the chance to serve out the set - and a monster ace up the middle does the job!
- - DEL POTRO 6-6(7-7) - At set point up Karlovic returns the Del Potro serve and has a chance to seal it... backhand into the net under no pressure!
- - DEL POTRO 6-6(6-6) - Ace down the middle from Karlovic to save set point.
- - DEL POTRO 6-6(4-3) - Big point as Karlovic and Del Potro both come close and the former triumphs at the net. He is now serving again and only a point behind.
- - DEL POTRO 6-6(3-0) - Del Potro races into a three-point lead due to unforced errors. Karlovic to serve again.
- - DEL POTRO 6-6 - TIEBREAK - A scamper to the net and slam into the floor from Del Potro seals a 12th hold from 12 games.
- - DEL POTRO 5-6 - Del Potro wins a couple of points early doors but is pegged back to deuce and a relieved Karlovic completes the hold.
- - DEL POTRO 5-5 - No dramas for Del Potro as he levels matters. As expected, perhaps, we could be headed for a tiebreak.
- - DEL POTRO 4-5 - If he is to avoid losing the opening set, Del Potro must hold in the next game. Karlovic's chance.
- - DEL POTRO 4-4 - Very flat winner that catches the line seals another service game for Del Potro. He dropped a couple of points there.
- - DEL POTRO 3-4 - Still awaiting a breakthrough in this Court 1 encounter. Karlovic, ranked 148, has never been past the second round at Roland Garros.
- - DEL POTRO 3-3 - Still on serve. The average speed on Del Potro's first serve is 194kph compared with 199 for Karlovic.
- - DEL POTRO 2-3 - Del Potro wins his first point on the Karlovic serve and even wins another point, but is unable to stop the hold.
- - DEL POTRO 2-2 - Again Karlovic looks immobile as Del Potro passes him. Not as comfortable on serve as his Croatian opponent though.
- - DEL POTRO 1-2 - Karlovic, sometimes caught stationary when Del Potro finds a powerful drive, using his serve to good effect again.
- - DEL POTRO 1-1 - The Argentine survives a break point to level matters.
- - DEL POTRO 0-1 - Simple hold to love in the opening game from the big-serving Karlovic, who ensured all four of his first serves landed in.
- - Karlovic to serve in the first game.
|Date of Birth||23/09/1988|
|Date of Birth||28/02/1979|