|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
7-6 - GAME, SET AND MATCH NADAL! Nadal comes up with some delightful passing shots in the breaker before Soderling empties a shot into the net as the defending champion sees out the breaker 7-3. He is into the last four....and could face Andy Murray there on Friday.
6-6 - Soderling digs deep from 0-30. Has been an impressive effort from the Swede as he wins four straight points to force the tie-break. Can he uncork a few more winners to force a fourth set? Nadal gets the breaker off and running.
6-5 - Nadal is jumping around like he has won the title out there after somehow recovering from three break points down to prevent Soderling from breaking for a second time in the set. How will that affect Soderling? That was a big chance to claim the second set. He will serve to stay alive in the match.
5-5 - Great hold from Soderling when he needed it. Can he come up with the goods to get the job done here? Needs to break Nadal, which will be easier said than done.
5-4 - Nadal moves within one game of a place in the last four with an assured service game. Soderling will have to hold serve to stay alive in the match.
4-4 - Soderling continues to battle hard as he holds again. Nadal missing a couple of shots you wouldn't expect him to miss. He doesn't miss much, but Soderling at least does his part.
4-3 - Nadal with 10 forehand winners in the match. Nadal trailed 30-15, but he comes through some rocky moments as Soderling thumps an attempted backhand down the line into the net. Nadal leads 4-3 in the third.
3-3 - Dangerous, dangerous moments for Soderling as Nadal brings up another break point. The Swedish player shows plenty of character to fend off the threat in levelling at 3-3. We remain on serve.
3-2 - Normal service is resumed as Nadal holds to lead by the odd game in five in the second set. Soderling with 28 unforced errors compared to 11 by Nadal, who has been close to his best out there today.
2-2 - Soderling cements the break to level at 2-2. Not sure if he has weathered the Nadal storm, but at least he is going to fight to make the Spaniard win this set.
2-1 - BREAK TO SODERLING! Soderling not going away as he cracks a booming shot from deep beyond Nadal to restore parity in this set. We are back on serve. Big ask for Soderling to retrieve this situation, but where there is life there is hope.
2-0 - BREAK TO NADAL! That will be eight straight games for Nadal as he breaks Soderling again. May be a cliche, but if this was a boxing match they would call it off here and now. Nadal bound for the last four.
1-0 - Seven games in a row for Nadal. Soderling getting only 43% of his first serves in during that second set. He continues to dominate this match with some outstanding play. One point summed up Nadal's quality as Soderling tried to lob him at the net only for Nadal to lean back and despatch the overhead winner.
6-1 - GAME AND SECOND SET TO NADAL! One hour and 22 minutes and Soderling is broken again in losing the set 6-1. Unless there is a massive sea change, there appears no way back for the Swede in his attempts to reach the final for a third straight year.
5-1 - Nadal piling on the pressure as he cements the double break on serve. Now within one game of the second set. Soderling is looking like a carthouse out there. Not much he can do about this.
4-1 - NADAL BREAKS! Four games on the trot for the world number one and a double break. This set has surely gone as Soderling sees another shot down the line fail to find the mark. Nadal punching his fist. He knows the importance of that game.
3-1 - Nadal quick to cement the break. His court coverage continues to be exceptional on the red clay. Soderling struggling to devise a way to break down the relentless pressure Nadal is exerting.
2-1 - NADAL BREAKS! Nadal sensing a weakness in Soderling resolve as he breaks again in the third game of the second set. Nadal looking every inch the champion as his depth of shot leaves Soderling floundering.
1-1 - Nadal sends a booming backhand on the run beyond Soderling. Vintage Nadal in that point as he levels up at 1-1. Soderling making a fight on this one, but Nadal is moving as well as he usually does. We continue on serve.
0-1 - Soderling does what is necessary at the outset of the second set as he holds serve. The Swede with only 53% of his first serves in. That tells its own story, but he gets ahead.
- - Key first-set stats (Nadal/Soderling): first-serve percentage 83/53; aces 1/2; unforced errors 8/14; winners 5/16; fastest serve speed 189kmh/214.
6-4 - SET - First set to Nadal as Soderling fires a return into the net. The match yet to really get going, but there is time yet.
- - Soderling strikes the netcord to force Nadal to come in and his forehand also catches the net - and loops out the back of the court. At 30-30 Soderling could yet save the set...
- - Soderling drives Nadal deep but he isn't world No.1 for nothing - a topspin forehand flashes across the Swede's face and drops inside the baseline. He could have volleyed, but it was awkward. Nadal then stops mid-point and the umpire signals that Soderling's shot was indeed long after inspecting the surface. There are some boos from the crowd.
5-4 - Serve and volley from the Swede then a fearsome winner on the next point... and an ace to seal a straightforward hold. He must now break to remain in this first set.
5-3 - Soderling poses no problems for the Spaniard's serve as Nadal goes 40-0 up. He fights back with a winner but another long return with the wind behind him puts Nadal a game away from the first set.
4-3 - Soderling digs in to win his service game and pumps his fist. However he remains a break down and the time is fast approaching for him to break Nadal again.
4-2 - That wicked Nadal forehand down the line in evidence but he finds himself under pressure at 40-30 up... however when Soderling comes into mid-court with his rival nowhere, he finds the net!
3-2 - Nadal so close to earning two break points with a pacy forehand that lands just out. Hawkeye would have been interesting. However a 10th unforced error gives Nadal one chance... Soderling saves it with an attack at the net that forces Nadal back and to hit long. Soderling sends down an ace at advantage up to take an important hold.
3-1 - ONE BREAK BACK - Soderling, targeting Nadal's backhand, keeps hitting his own backhand wide. However he has greater success going to the other side, notching a winner for 30-30. Soderling then wrongfoots the world No.1 to claim a break point which he converts when Nadal cuts a backhand long.
- - You can watch both this match and the one involving Murray online using the Eurosport Player. Player
- - The wind forces Nadal to wait to serve at the start of the fourth game. It is shooting through the complex but not in a steady direction.
3-0 - DOUBLE BREAK - Nadal absolutely cruising at the start of this match, going three games ahead despite dropping a couple of points again. Playing an opponent of such prodigious defensive qualities on a slow surface means you must just outlast him and not make an mistake - and Soderling has made too many.
2-0 - Errors from both players as Nadal holds. Not comfortable for Rafa when Soderling changes the pace, but he has enough strength to come through the game.
1-0 - BREAK - Nadal wins the opening point but Soderling attacks the net to secure the next two, the Spaniard almost bending a forehand from a wide position inside the corner. Nadal goes on to win a break point with Soderling striking long - and Nadal has the break as the Swede hits into the net!
- - Soderling to serve first.
- - Nadal and Soderling enter the arena. The world number one is feeling a little nervous about his campaign this year - maybe it's got something to do with that pesky Novak Djokovic. Video: Nadal nervous ahead of quarter-final
- - The players are still to arrive on Court Philippe Chatrier, although the ballboys have arrived. Hopefully they won't be too enthusiastic... Video: Murray gets helping hand from ballboy
- - The winner will play whoever triumphs on Court Suzanne Lenglen, with Andy Murray facing Juan Ignacio Chela - that match is also starting soon. Murray v Chela: LIVE
- - Soderling is the only player to ever beat Nadal on the clay of Roland Garros - the 2009 final. Nadal gained his revenge in last year's final. Soderling to test Nadal in final repeat
- - Welcome to coverage of Rafael Nadal's French Open quarter-final against Robin Soderling in Paris.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||14/08/1984|