|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 7-6 (7-3) - Djokovic's backhand breaks down on his serve and Berdych glimpses a chance to get back in it. Berdych then puts away a midcourt ball with ease. A stumble from Novak, but it doesn't matter as the ball goes just wide. Three match points…it's his 70th win of the season as another big serve is unreturned. Such a close game, but Djokovic's mental strength came through.
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 6-6 (5-1) - Djokovic takes the opening point off the Berdych serve. The Czech gets the mini-break back as his opponent hits long though. It's tense this and it shows as Berdych this time with the unforced error off his forehand. Another wasteful hit long from Berdych, and then an absolutely woeful smash with the who court to aim for! Djokovic 4-1 up. A perfect volley from Novak sets up the easy put away and this is surely all over at the turnaround.
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 6-6 - …Djokovic takes it to the tie break.
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 5-6 - Berdych is threatening to take it here. He takes a 15-30 lead with a winner, but Djokovic hits back to level it. Double fault from Novak and it's match point! Berdych crumbles and makes a complete hash of a straightforward forehand. A big serve under so much pressure and Djokovic has the advantage. A forehand into the net though and it's back to deuce. Again he repeats the strong serve to move ahead…
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 5-6 - Berdych with a brutal winner down the line off his backhand. Perfectly into the corner from Berdych for a 40-0 lead and he takes the game.
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 5-5 - Djokovic is wobbling here. Or more accurately Berdych is playing brilliantly. A wonderful backhand volley puts him up 15-30. Berdych hits into the top of the net off his backhand side and you can feel the tension here…Djokovic holds his nerve for longer and forces the mistake from the Czech. Another error off his backhand wing and Novak survives.
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 4-5 - Novak slices into the net, then crashes his backhand wide. A serve out wide is too hot for the Serb and Berdych takes the game to love with an ace again out wide.
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 4-4 - Berdych hits the Novak second serve into the net. But the Serbian can't pass the Czech as he approaches the net. An unforced error, and another from Berdych and he's throwing his chance away. One more unreturned serve and Djokovic is level.
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 3-4 - BREAK! A double fault to open Berdych's service game, followed by a tight backhand and it's 0-30. Djokovic shanks a forehand wide, though it was difficult. Another double fault and it's two break back points! An unforced error into the net and that's why Berdych doesn't win tournaments.
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 2-4 - BREAK! A lucky net cord in favour of Berdych, who apologises. Brutal hitting from Berdych puts him up 15-30 at this crucial juncture. Djokovic leaves it short and Berdych punishes it with a vicious forehand out wide. Two break points…he breaks with a devastating forehand winner down the line!
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 2-3 - A backhand sails into the top of the net from the Serbian. Berdych with a backhand of his own that fails to hit the target. Djokovic plays the ball deep to the feet of the Czech and he fails to deal with it. Djokovic challenges a serve and gets the call absolutely right. The ensuing rally is stunning, with Novak sliding all over the place, but Tomas eventually gets to the net and volleys home. The following point goes to Berdych after another challenge and that's the game.
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 2-2 - Djokovic plays in behind the Cezech for the winner. Berdych rattles the top of the net, but it just fails to fall over it. Djokovic's serve proves too hot for Berdych and another clever kicker out wide for the game to love.
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 1-2 - Berdych with a double fault, but he replies when he smashes a short ball down and over Djokovic's head. A wild attempt at a winner goes nowhere near from the Czech, but he atones for it with a booming serve out wide. There's a floating piece of confetti that the players wait to fall to the ground…it takes an age! The delay doesn't help Novak and he hits long.
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 1-1 - Djokovic races through his game though, and Berdych hits wastefully wide to hand him the game.
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 0-1 - An obvious, but still stunning passing shot from Djokovic down the line. He wastes his good work through with two errors and Berdych holds
- - Djokovic 3-6 6-3 - SET! A great one-two from Djokovic. Another winner and it's 30-0. An ace down the middle and it's three set points…another ace and make that the quickest game of the match so far.
- - Djokovic 3-6 5-3 - Berdych gets the game underway with an ace and hits a crosscourt winner that falls just inside the line. That's the game to love after Djokovic can't make the return and it was probably the quickest game of the match.
- - Djokovic 3-6 5-2 - Berdych with a vicious winner up the line. A long rally with the Czech on the defensive and again Djokovic with the dropshot to devastating effect. A big one-two off the first serve, but then a forehand long when back-peddling and it's 30-30. Berdych hits the return into the net, but Djokovic returns the favour. A forehand up the line is millimetres wide from Berdych, and another much more wayward to hand Novak the game.
- - Djokovic 3-6 4-2 - Berdych and Djokovic trade blows with some heavy hitting and it's 30-30. Berdych kicks the serve into the body of Djokovic who fails to deal with it. The Serb challenges the Berdych serve, but Hawkeye shows it clipped the line and the Czech holds.
- - Djokovic 3-6 4-1 - Djokovic is making more noise now and putting more into his groundstrokes. A big serve out wide - not fast, but a lot of angle - is unreturned. Berdych fails to make a reasonably straightforward volley, but his reply is to force Djokovic back onto his heels and force the mistake. Tomas misses the attempted winner down the line and that's the game.
- - Djokovic 3-6 3-1 - Make that the 12th error off his backhand side, followed by a return of serve that goes wide. Berdych shanks off his forehand, Novak hits long off his, another dropshot into the same corner and Berdych again can't get it back in. Another long forehand and that's the game, though a game low on quality.
- - Djokovic 3-6 3-0 - Berdych will want to break straight back and he wins the first point following a Djokovic error. The Czech returns the favour though for 15-15. A big serve and Berdych can only slice it wide. Djokovic's 11th error off his backhand side though. Berdych with a terrible forehand! It was asking to be put away, but it's wide. Long again from the underdog and Novak streaks ahead.
- - Djokovic 3-6 2-0 - BREAK! …another superb dropshot and the Serb brings it back to deuce. Berdych challenges a Djokovic shot that's called in, but to no avail. Break point, and the Czech with another unforced error and it is the break.
- - Djokovic 3-6 1-0 - Djokovic hits long, but Berdych does exactly the same in the following point. A third unforced error in a row in this game, this time committed by Djokovic. A very subdued error strewn game and it goes to deuce. Berdych gets through the defence of Djokovic to get advantage, but he's getting a little tight and lamely hits into the net. Another error and break point for Djokovic, rescued by Tomas with a volley. Long from Djokovic…
- - Djokovic 3-6 1-0 - Djokovic eases through the opening service game of this second set. A crosscourt forehand winner shows up Berdych's lack of mobility and he takes the game to love.
- - Djokovic 3-6 - SET! Djokovic will put all his might into breaking here…but Berdych with excellent court craft and he puts a simple overhead into the corner. A big crosscourt forehand from the Czech and he's just two points from the set. A double fault…and a nervy backhand and it's 30-30. Set point after a swinging serve out wide…and is there an upset on the card? Berdych does take the first set.
- - Djokovic 3-5 - Another nice drop shot, but Berdych does run in a curve rather than a straight line…and slip. A perfectly placed shot into the corner and the world number one takes the game when Berdych weakly hits into the net.
- - Djokovic 2-5 - ...but back to deuce when Novak slices wide. A well constructed point from Berdych ends with a volleyed winner for the advantage and he takes the game when Djokovic puts the backhand long.
- - Djokovic 2-4 - An inside-out forehand flies into the net from Tomas. Another attempt at the same shot and this time it's wide. Djokovic lets him off when a second serve he'd usually batter for a winner he hits tamely long. Berdych is falling apart here; yet another wayward groundstroke and Novak can break again. One's saved by the ace down the middle, and the other with an unreturnable one out wide…Deuce. A shocker of an overhead from Berdych - Sandra Redknapp would have made that one...
- - Djokovic 2-4 - Right idea from Djokovic, but he volleys a simple ball long. Berdych returns the favour and hits the return of the second serve long. A big serve down the tee, puts him up, but s Federer type shank off the forehand and Djokovic is again under pressure on serve. Unforced error into the net form Novak and once again a chance to break…the serve out wide does it's job…deuce. Just long from Berdych on the run and the Serb holds for the first time in the match.
- - Djokovic 1-4 - Berdych well overhits the midcourt backhand, perhaps a bit of tension being this far up against the best player in the world. That's more like it from Novak. A beautiful dropshot and he puts the next shot into the open court. The game moves to 15-40 and this is such a vital game…a wayward forehand from Berdych and Novak gets on the scoreboard.
- - Djokovic 0-4 - Djokovic again almost double faults on his opening serve, but when the rally gets underway quickly commits the unforced error. He makes amends with a stinging crosscourt forehand that Berdych can only get his frame to. Another unforced error off his forehand, and another and it's two break points! The Czech's return falls just wide to reduce the gap, but the world number one with yet another of you know what, this time into the net and it's the double break.
- - Djokovic 0-3 - The players share the opening couple of points and Berdych moves ahead with a big first serve. The Czech moves toward the net and Djokovic commits to his backhand side and the ball's sent the other way. A brutal forehand down the line gives the game to Berdych to 15.
- - Djokovic 0-2 - BREAK! The Serb double faults, but then forces Berdych to play one more shot in the following rally and he hits wide. 15-15…long on the backhand side and Berdych moves ahead. A long rally this time and again Novak hits long. Two break points for Berdych, but Djokovic forces the mistake. One left and this time Berdych pounces, pounding the ball into the same corner again and again, until Djokovic can only net.
- - Djokovic 0-1 - Berdych wins the toss and elects to serve. The first rally of the match goes in favour of the Serb as Berdych hits into the net. Djokovic slices into the net and it's 15-15. Berdych slips and Djokovic moves ahead. A long forehand and it moves to 30-30. Berdych beasts a backhand down the line and follows it up with a big one-two off the first serve.
20:25 - If Berdych is going to win tonight he'll have to maintain his first serve. When he gets it in he actually wins more points off it than Djokovic does on his - 78% compared to 74%.
20:20 - The players are just coming out now. In the pre-match interview Novak says he's back fit now, but it will be tough against the hard-hitting Czech. Tomas says 'nice' a lot in reply to every question and not much else of interest.
20:15 - Djokovic has lost four games this year. Four games! He's won 10 titles opposed to Berdych's solitary tournament win.
20:10 - Novak holds a 7-1 advantage over Berdych in all matches played against each other in their career so far. Berdych got that solitary victory on the grass at Wimbledon though in 2010, when he made the final.
20:05 - This doubles match lasted slightly longer than expected, but surprise surprise the Bryan brothers get the win. It all means though that Djokovic and Berdych won't be starting until about 20:30.
- - Welcome to coverage of Novak Djokovic's opener at the ATP World Tour Finals against Tomas Berdych. The match is scheduled for 20:00 UK time so join us then.
|Date of Birth||22/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||17/09/1985|