|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So Sharapova is through to face Kvitova tomorrow, now we just wait to see the order of play and which match comes first.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-2 6-3 – GAME, SET & MATCH – Sharapova has plenty of time to wait for a high ball to drop so she can dispatch it across court on the off-forehand and bring up two more match points. The first goes begging on another error while a backhand wide down the line squanders the second but she sets up a third with a huge cross court forehand and this time she does book her place in the semis with a series of huge backhands that Makarova can eventually only return long
- - SHARAPOVA 6-2 5-3 – A absolutely huge backhand return of serve winner across court, followed quickly by a forehand winner down the line, hands Sharapova a first match point. But it goes begging when she hits into the net and Makarova goes on to hold and force Sharapova to serve this out
- - SHARAPOVA 6-2 5-2 – Makarova crunches a cross court forehand return for a winner to put a bit of pressure on the Sharapova serve at 40-30, before the fourth seed sends a running forehand long down the line increase the pressure on herself. But, despite giving Makarova numerous chances to set up a break point, Sharapova goes on to hold without actually facing one, when her opponent hits long. Makarova will have to serve to stay in this after the change of ends
- - SHARAPOVA 6-2 4-2 – BREAK – Amazing single-handed backhand pick up by Sharapova, just before the second bounce, to dink a drop shot from Makarova back across court for a winner that lands right on the sideline. Two points later, Makarova sends a backhand wide down the line to hand Sharapova a break point, before conceding her serve with an off-backhand, also wide, across court
- - SHARAPOVA 6-2 3-2 – Sharapova holds this time around to get ahead, albeit it only on serve, when Makarova fails to find the court with a forehand. We are firmly back on track in this second set now
- - SHARAPOVA 6-2 2-2 - BREAK - Makarova double faults on the first point of this game before that backhand of Maria's gets to work again to give her a 30-15 lead. A second double fault then brings up two break points for the number four seed and she gratefully accepts the invitation with a forehand winner that Makarova doesn't even get close to. Back on serve!
- - SHARAPOVA 6-2 1-2 - BREAK - Maria cruises to 30-0 before two unforced errors - both forehands into the net - put her in a bit of trouble. Makarova then sends her the wrong way with a backhand to bring up break point! And she takes it with the kind of aggressive tennis we saw her play against Serena the other day! She's reading Sharapova much better all of a sudden and she's rewarded with a break!
- - SHARAPOVA 6-2 1-1 - Makarova's having to work a great deal harder to hold her service games than Maria at the moment. But hold she does after some great retrieving ends with Sharapova hitting a forehand wide of the tramlines.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-2 1-0 - Sharapova gets the second set off to a cracking start, racing to a 40-0 lead before she drops just one point - hitting the net - on her way to sealing the game. Don't forget you can watch this match live on the Eurosport Player. Subscribe here
- - SHARAPOVA 6-2 - SET - Sharapova's grunts - if that's what you can call them - are really getting loud now and when she lets out an almighty scream that signals her 11th winner of the day, she gets back into this game. She goes on to get to deuce before bringing up set point. Makarova saves it with smash that lands right on the baseline but Sharapova soon gets another chance. This time an enormous forehand winner on return of serve clinches it! And Sharapova takes the first set!
- - SHARAPOVA 5-2 - Makarova fires one wide to bring up game point for Sharapova, but Ekaterina then hits her fourth forehand winner of the day - right on the line - to pull a point back. And she goes on to bring up deuce with some great defensive work. Yet more excellent retrieving from Makarova then brings up a break opportunity but it's saved with Maria's first ace of the day. And Sharapova goes on to hold - she's mighty relieved and lets out a huge roar to prove it.
- - SHARAPOVA 4-2 - Makarova pulls out a stunning forehand winner right into the corner of the court but two weak shots into the net later, Sharapova has another break point. Makarova saves it with an ace which is clocked at 167kph - the first ace of the match - and she goes on to hold.
- - SHARAPOVA 4-1 - Maria's serve lets her down at 30-0 up as she double faults for a third time today but a huge forehand on the next point sees Makarova fail to return the ball in. Sharapova then seals another game with a big serve that's simply too powerful for her opponent.
- - SHARAPOVA 3-1 - BREAK - Sharapova's getting the decibel levels up as she cranks up the power. On the first two points it's too much for Makarova, who drops to 0-30, before pulling a point back. Sharapova then cracks a sensational backhand winner cross-court to bring up two break points. And she takes it to edge ahead in this opening set!
- - SHARAPOVA 2-1 - Eight unforced errors from Sharapova now but her incredible backhand is working just fine as she hammers one back past Makarova. A lucky net cord gives Makarova a sniff of staying in the game at 30-40 but Maria closes out on the next point. Petra Kvitova awaits the winner of this one, after the Czech saw off Sara Errani earlier. Erratic Kvitova books semi berth
- - SHARAPOVA 1-1 - Sharapova wastes no time in bringing up three break points on Makarova's first service game but credit to her compatriot, she saves all three. Another one soon follows, but a sixth unforced error of the match from Maria sees Makarova stay in with a shout. The world number 56 then advances to net and by sending Sharapova wide she wins the point and manages to hold!
- - SHARAPOVA 1-0 - Not an ideal start to the match for Sharapova, who double faults to fall to 0-30. But she starts on the road to recovery when Makarova hits a backhand into the net before she sends one long - which is called out, but challenged correctly by Maria. The number four seed then fires a forehand winner and moves on to hold serve and claim the opening game.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-0 - Here we go then! Sharapova to serve first and get things under way in this all-Russian battle!
- - The girls are out on court in bright sunshine, that early morning cloud having dispersed completely.
- - These two have faced each other twice before, both times last year and both times on the clay. Sharapova triumphed on both those occasions and, although Makarova pushed her all the way to three sets in Madrid just a couple of weeks later in Rome she was thumped, managing just two games in a straight sets defeat.
- - Don't forget you can watch this match, and every other match for that matter, LIVE on British Eurosport and the Eurosport Player. To subsribe to the Player just click here and follow the instructions
- - Hello and welcome to the last of the women's quarter-finals between fourth seed Maria Sharapova and her unseeded fellow Russian Ekaterina Makarova.
|Date of Birth||07/06/1988|
|Date of Birth||19/04/1987|