|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - NADAL 6-4 6-3 - GAME, SET AND MATCH! Nadal is jolted back into raising his level once more as he produces a stunning game to break serve and close out this match! Nieminen has battled away tirelessly and deserves credit, but the seven-time champion progresses through to the last 16 where he will face Mikhail Kukushkin, who beat Filippo Volandri today. Full drawsheet
- - NADAL 6-4 5-3 - BREAK! What a remarkable response from Nieminen, who breaks serve with a crushing forehand down the line, and he closes out an incredible game as Nadal commits an unforced error.
- - NADAL 6-4 5-2 - BREAK! Nadal again dismantles the Nieminen serve as he hammers a forehand winner cross court, then clenches his fist in delight as he crushes another winner down the line! He can now serve out for this match...
- - NADAL 6-4 4-2 - Nadal is again untroubled on his own serve as Nieminen overhits two forehands and concedes further ground to his opponent. Nadal is thriving now as he closes in on victory.
- - NADAL 6-4 3-2 - Nieminen simply refuses to be dictated to in this second set as he responds with a gutsy hold to reduce the deficit, and his forehand continues to work very well indeed.
- - NADAL 6-4 3-1 - Nadal consolidates his break of serve with a superb forehand down the line, and he finds three big first serves to peg Nieminen back on the court.
- - NADAL 6-4 2-1 - BREAK! Nadal stamps his authority on proceedings once more as he breaks Nieminen at the second opportunity in this set! He steps up his intensity with a brilliant series of strokes from the back of the court, and he's thriving now!
- - NADAL 6-4 1-1 - There is suddenly a rather subdued atmosphere on Court Central as it seems many of the spectators have decided not to return from their lunch break. In their absence, Nadal produces two blistering forehand winners to hold serve and level at 1-1.
- - NADAL 6-4 0-1 - Nieminen holds serve at the start of the second set as he gets on the board immediately, and that's a huge improvement from the start of the match as he starts very impressively.
- - NADAL 6-4 - SET! Nieminen produces another sterling response, taking Nadal to 30-30, but the reigning champion comes through unscathed to close out the opening set in clinical fashion! A forehand pass down the line does the trick for the Spaniard, and he holds the advantage in this match.
- - NADAL 5-4 - Nieminen is forced to save break points for the second game in succession, but he does so successfully to ensure that Nadal now has to serve out for the opening set under pressure.
- - NADAL 5-3 - The crowd are really getting into this match thanks to Nieminen's fine work in keeping pace with Nadal after a slow start in this opening set. Nadal slams a forehand down the line to close it out, and he moves to within a game of the set.
- - NADAL 4-3 - Nieminen chips away at Nadal's lead once more as he holds after an extended deuce! The Finn races into a 40-0 lead, but Nadal hauls him back and takes it to deuce with some powerful groundstrokes. Nieminen holds, though, and in impressive fashion in the end.
- - NADAL 4-2 - Nadal, sporting an orange shirt today, bludgeons a forehand down the line to leave Nieminen flat-footed as he closes out another comfortable service hold, and the Finn is not able to challenge this time around.
- - NADAL 3-2 - Nieminen deserves real credit for his tenacity and resolve as he reduces the deficit once more, and Nadal has not had things his own way since taking the early break in this set. Can Nieminen produce another strong resistance on the Nadal serve now?
- - NADAL 3-1 - Nadal has a few issues as he battles back from a sloppy start to hold serve and restore his two-game cushion in this opening set. Nieminen is battling away tirelessly and growing in confidence.
- - NADAL 2-1 - Nieminen belatedly gets on the board with a gutsy hold, and the Finn slams a forehand down the line to win a crucial point at 30-30 before holding serve. Nadal still has work to do in this set.
- - NADAL 2-0 - It's all very easy for Nadal, who throws away the balls and rushes off to his return mark after holding serve comfortably to consolidate his break of serve. Nieminen needs to settle now on serve, but knows he will have to fight off his relentless opponent.
- - NADAL 1-0 - BREAK! Nadal breaks right from the outset after taking the game to deuce, and Nieminen sees his serve broken in the very first game of the match! The Spaniard is utterly belligerent and relentless in seizing control.
- - Nadal has an amazing 39-1 lifetime mark, winning 37 in a row, and looks to reach 40 wins as he takes on Nieminen, against whom he is 6-0 against, including a 69-minute, 62 62 rout in this same round here last year; also, in his entire career Nadal has only lost five matches to lefties, but never on clay (two losses on grass and three losses on hard courts).
- - Nadal has completely dominated this tournament, winning it the last seven years since losing in the third round in 2003 as a 16-year-old to Guillermo Coria. Then after missing the event in 2004, he has won every year since 2005.
- - Next up on Court Central is seven-time reigning champion Rafael Nadal, who takes on Jarkko Nieminen in their second-round encounter. Who do you fancy to win this tournament - Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Ferrer...? Get in touch!
|Date of Birth||23/07/1981|
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|