|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
16:30 - We've got Gilles Simon vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga coming up in the last quarter final to be contested. Head here to follow the action.
- - Nadal 7-5 6-4 - MATCH! A raking backhand from Wawrinka looks to be going in, but it clips the tape and falls inches wide. A classy volley from Rafa into the empty court, and he follows it with a sumptuous passing shot up the line. Three match points…an ace down the middle. What a way to end it.
- - Nadal 7-5 5-4 - Nadal's getting most things now, but he won't get that as Wawrinka thunders an inside-out forehand into the corner. Aggressive first serves from the Swiss though and he'll force the number two seed to serve out for the match.
- - Nadal 7-5 5-3 - Nadal hooks a winner up the line as Wawrinka's lack of mobility starts to tell. A double fault from Nadal, but further errors from Wawrinka and it's two game points. Nadal drops the ball short and the Swiss number two clips it long of the baseline.
- - Nadal 7-5 4-3 - Relentless pressure exerted here from Nadal now. It's 30-30…but a fantastic serve down the tee is all but an ace. He follows it with an actual ace and that's another important hold.
- - Nadal 7-5 4-2 - Stunning winner from near the net right into Wawrinka's forehand corner. A terrible return of serve from Wawrinka gives Nadal a 40-0 lead and he punishes the ball down the line for another winner. He's going up through the gears as the finishing line is in sight.
- - Nadal 7-5 3-2 - Wawrinka's been exceptional so far when he's come to the net today, and it's another lovely volley leaving Nadal with no chance. Rafa claws it back ot deuce…this is an almighty important game…some ridiculous retrieving from Nadal, but it’s not enough.
- - Nadal 7-5 3-1 - Nadal plants a laser guided forehand perfectly into the corner to go up 40-15. In a dominant position Rafa somehow contrives to lose the point, but no mistake on the next point as a good second serve into the body forces Wawrinka to hit long.
- - Nadal 7-5 2-1 - Big moments for Wawrinka as he goes 0-15 down, but he responds well as he rattles off four consecutive points, throwing in a couple of winners for good measure.
- - Nadal 7-5 2-0 - Wawrinka pushes the forehand up the line wide. A couple of errors from Nadal, but he's aggressive on the next point as he comes to the net and forces his opponent into the net. An ace down the tee and Nadal completes the break.
- - Nadal 7-5 1-0 - BREAK! Nadal works his way to an early couple of break points, but Wawrinka valiantly battles back to deuce with some lovely clean hitting. But Nadal pushes and pushes, and eventually forces the errors by continuously going to the Swiss' forehand side.
- - Nadal 7-5 - SET! Unbelievable defence from Nadal as Wawrinka hits a crushing backhand, but the Spaniard still gets it back. The Swiss hits the return long and it's finally two set points…it's taken about an hour to take this set, but Nadal does so as another deep forehand forces Wawrinka into the error.
- - Nadal 6-5 - BREAK! Wawrinka pays the price of coming into the net while leaving the ball for Nadal's backhand to rip across court. The Swiss won't be outdone though and he slams an inside-out forehand into the far corner. There are chances for Wawrinka to guarantee at least a tie-break, but he takes neither. Suddenly it's break point, and suddenly this set should be all over as Wawrinka hits an easy shot into the net.
- - Nadal 5-5 - An excellent drop shot from Nadal leaves Wawrinks sliding into thin air. It's a simple hold to love for Nadal as Wawrinka hits a forehand miles wide.
- - Nadal 4-5 - Incredibly lucky from Nadal as his shot clips and dribbles over the net. It's a conservative pass from Rafa next though and Wawrinka volleys it away with ease. Fantastic defence from Nadal, but the Swiss should still put the smash away. Two break points…both saved by Wawrinka then Nadal puts the forehand up the line long. And Wawrinka moves ahead!
- - Nadal 4-4 - BREAK! It's a nightmare as a one-handed backhander to face that Nadal forehand. It jumps up and Wawrinka can only put it into the path of Nadal and he volleys home. The Spaniard shanks a forehand off his frame, but no matter as he races to 40-15. Two wasted opportunities though and it's deuce. Suddenly break point…four points in a row for Wawrinka as he out shoots Nadal during a huge rally!
- - Nadal 4-3 - Nadal almost threads the pass up the line, but it's just wide. A double fault from Wawrinka, the first of the match, but that's the only blemish on his service game as he angles a volley away for a winner.
- - Nadal 4-2 - Nadal rattles through his service game. An ace down the tee and a whipped crosscourt backhand seals the game to love.
- - Nadal 3-2 - Wawrinka batters a forehand winner crosscourt then puts an awkward ball at Nadal's feet to bring the game back to 30-30. Wawrinka somehow makes a backhand volley at absolutely full stretch. A magnificent hold from the Swiss as a good serve forces Nadal into the net.
- - Nadal 3-1 - Not a great drop shot from Nadal, but he gets away with it as Wawrinka flicks the ball well past the baseline. The Spaniard lassoes a forehand winner into the corner. An ace from Nadal, but Wawrinka replies though he gets lucks as his shot clips the net and falls kindly. Break point now as Rafa hits long…but he stays solid and the Swiss makes the mistake. A couple more misses and Nadal holds.
- - Nadal 2-1 - Wawrinka with a stinging crosscourt backhand, Nadal fails to get the return over the net and it's a hold to love for the Swiss as he gets on the board for the first time.
- - Nadal 2-0 - A backhand from a tight angle is ripped into the corner by Nadal. Wawrinka replies by looping a forehand out of the reach of Nadal, but an easy hold for the Spaniard as Wawrinka's return goes well long.
- - Nadal 1-0 - BREAK! It's strange that with such a beautiful and effective backhand, Wawrinka constantly runs onto his forehand. He does so here and hits the crosscourt just wide. Break point to Rafa and he only needs a sniff as a dominant rally ends with Wawrinka putting into the net.
14:35 - Wawrinka's never even won a set off Nadal, let alone a match. That spans seven encounters and 15 sets. They haven't played each other for two years though...
14:30 - Hello and welcome to live game-by-game coverage of the Monte-Carlo quarter-finals match up between Rafa Nadal and Stanislas Wawrinka.
|Date of Birth||28/03/1985|
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|