|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - NADAL 6-4 7-5 MATCH NADAL! Match point now for Nadal as Berdych can't do anything with the return. But a wicked return follows, super powerful and deep, and Nadal nets. Deuce! But a rally that Berdych was shading sees the Czech go long, match point again! But Berdych powers a forehand long and that is it! Straight sets but what a battle! Ferrer next.
- - NADAL 6-4 6-5 Berdych returns long, But Nadal misses a passing shot and it's 15-15. The next pass works just fine though, Berdych making contact but netting, and a delay as Nadal gets some clay in his eye! The next point sees Nadal pump it long after a fine return, 30-30. A wicked rally is edged by Nadal's drop shot, Berdych sliding into net. But Berdych fights back on the next rally as Nadal nets! Drama on Court Centrale? Deuce!
- - NADAL 6-4 6-5 BREAK El Toro (as I and only I call him) takes the first point with a whipped shot that Berdych dives desperately on to. And a pounding forehand wide of Berdych puts Nadal 30-0 up! But Berdych stays alive with a sweeping foreand and double-handed backhand. But a superb pass from Nadal and two break points! And Berdych nets weakly and that is surely it!!
- - NADAL 6-4 5-5 Nadal plunders three points in a row to move to 40-0 and he holds with a cool backhand volley at the net.
- - NADAL 6-4 4-5 ...Taken by the Czech, finally, as Nadal goes long. Phew. Nadal serving to stay in the set.
- - NADAL 6-4 4-4 Nadal's return is called wide but he rightly challenges as it looked good - the umpire disagrees, just wide. Advantage Berdych - first serve is down the middle but out; second is returned with spin and length and Berdych misses it after the bounce. Deuce again. Oh and an error as he nets a smash with Nadal running at him! Break point, effective match point this... But a strong serve means Nadal lays it up for a volley. Deuce. And game point Berdych as Nadal slips into a backhand...
- - NADAL 6-4 4-4 An error from Berdych to kick off but a weak second-serve return from Nadal allows the Czech to level. He swings some powerful shots in, more like earlier this set, but overcooks a cross-court forehand with Nadal on the run. 40-30. And a savage return from Nadal to deuce! He plants it out wide at pace! Wowzers! Almost follows it up with another, but it kicks into net. But then he passes him with a superb winner and it's deuce again. Two comments again...
- - NADAL 6-4 4-4 No trouble holding for Nadal, who suddenly has the measure of Berdych and will gleefully attack his serve now.
- - NADAL 6-4 3-4 BREAK BACK Another double fault from Berdych, deary me. But Nadal nets and he saves a second break point. Nadal returns long. But really? Another double fault sees Berdych drop back to deuce. And it's break point again as Berdych nets weakly, feeling the pressure. AND HE TAKES IT WITH A KILLER DROP OVER THE NET! How did he get to that after Berdych clipped it?
- - NADAL 6-4 2-4 Another Berdych rocket seems to bounce out but Nadal doesn't challenge. Next return spins wide, but Nadal pulls one back. Great retrieving from Berdych now as he digs out a lob off the baseline that Nadal can't reach! But Nadal fights back with some great length from deep, eventually too much for Berdych. And then a cool backhand volley at net takes it to deuce. And a double-fault for break point! Cancelled out with a serve out wide. I need two comments for this game...
- - NADAL 6-4 2-4 BREAK Two break points for Berdych as Nadal spins one out! The umpire gets down to check and it's out for sure! That came from a powerful return by the Czech. And he's done it! Nadal had kissed a testing drop shot wide of Berdych, who slid across and backhanded a killer crosscourt shot that left Nadal floundering!
- - NADAL 6-4 2-3 Berdych decides to drop his serves a bit shorter, Nadal struggling to adjust initially as the Czech wins a couple of points. He then nets though, giving the Spaniard a route back into this game. And another, as he overcooks a backhand volley that Nadal had laid up nicely for him. 40-30... Holds with a powerful serve.
- - NADAL 6-4 2-2 Hello. Nadal with a couple of little errors and, having won just four points against serve previously, Berdych now has two. But his next return is long, almost a killer blow though. They trade blows and it's break point for Berdych! Second serve too... but ach, Berdych goes long with a deep strike and it's deuce. And Nadal gets his lines and angles right on two rallies, both of which he wins as Berdych goes long, a big hold.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-2 Nadal somehow makes a double-handed pass while readjusting on the stretch after what should have been a winner from Berdych, who responds with a Sampras-style serve and volley. And a similar one to follow, though he lets it bounce before picking his spot. Good hold in the end.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-1 A superb rally of retrieve and strike from both men but Nadal shades it with a reverse volley smash. Vamos etc. The Spaniard crushes a sweeping forehand wide of Berdych, and holds to love with ease.
- - NADAL 6-4 0-1 Berdych on serve. Oh boo, a wonderful shot from Nadal is millimetres out. Everyone wanted that to land in for art's sake. Anyway the Czech makes an error to net when trying a drive on the move. And Nadal now has break point as Berdych goes long... But a super serve, then a controlled rally and finally a killer drop-shot see Berdych turn it round to hold. Great three points from the Czech.
- - NADAL 6-4 SET Rafa serving for the set and he starts shakily as Berdych pulls out a monstrous return. Nadal then chooses to go long for the next rally, and Berdych overcooks it. 15-15. Another power rally sees Berdych drift it wide, he challenges but it was wide, a few inches or so. Now two set points, which Rafa takes as he opens up into a glorious cross-court drive. Classy.
- - NADAL 5-4 After dropping the first point, Berdych pulls out an ace to stop a rot which saw him lose 11 of the previous 15 points. And another pair of fine winners from the Czech, but it's back to 40-30 after he lets himself get pushed about on second serve. And another second serve sees Nadal take charge of a rally but Berdych fights back with power and Nadal goes long. Hold, just.
- - NADAL 5-3 As if to say "bah, Madrid was a nonsense" Nadal is playing some brilliant tennis here, holding with a killer forehand pass, spinning around and up and down and landing on the baseline. Hurrah!
- - NADAL 4-3 Nadal has his groove on, winning the first point against Berdych's serve with a flying, stabbed winner that the Czech can only admire. 30-30 now as they trade blows, key game for Berdych as he seeks to stem the tide. Which he does.
- - NADAL 4-2 The Spaniard shows great movement as a double-handed forehand into the corner beats Berdych. And a wonderful shot from Nadal puts him 40-0 up, fizzing it down the line with his forehand while at full stretch on the move. Such power while barely holding on to the racquet! Love hold.
- - NADAL 3-2 Berdych responds to that close-run thing with a powerful service game, holding to love with Nadal not given a sniff.
- - NADAL 3-1 Boosted by that love hold, Berdych has a real go at Nadal with some booming returns. It's 30-30 now as one such shot leaves Nadal for dead. Fist-pump from the Czech, who takes it to deuce but Nadal turns it on with some crisp movement to net to make a pair of winning volleys.
- - NADAL 2-1 Better from Berdych as he races 40-0 up courtsey of a mis-hit return from Nadal. And a love hold, greeted with cheers, as Nadal doesn't even bother waiting for the umpire's decision on a line call.
- - NADAL 2-0 A cool love hold for Nadal, who has that steely look in his eye again. This could be a quickie.
- - NADAL 1-0 BREAK The Spaniard surges ahead against serve, three break points straight away. But he shows his human side with a mis-hit to take it back to two break points. Second serve from Berdych now... Nadal bosses the rally but one of his shots clips the net, setting up a nice volley for Berdych. Now the Czech thinks he's aced him but it's called out - correct call. Second serve... just in, rally ensues and Nadal wins it by sending it past a stranded Berdych. Break.
- - HEAD TO HEAD: 11-3 to Nadal, obviously. Berdych hasn't beaten him since 2006, when he won three in a row against the Spaniard. Last one was a four-setter in Oz.
|Date of Birth||17/09/1985|
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|