No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
|J Del Potro||6||6||-||-||-|
6-7 - Berdych finally brings up matchpoint on his own serve after an untimely error by Del Potro at 6-6. An overhead winner from Berdych is good enough to complete the win. 8-6 in the breaker. He completes a 7-6 7-6 win with Del Potro continuing to complain to the umpire about a couple of calls. Two hours and 18 minutes. It is all over.
- - 6-6....Del Potro loses his footing at the back of the court as Berdych snaffles up the first mini-break of the breaker for a 3-1 lead. An ace from Del Potro sees him close to 3-2 behind. A big second serve flies past Del Potro for a 4-2 advantage. A double fault by Berdych sees Del Potro close to 4-3 behind. Del Potro comes up with the goods on serve for a 5-4 lead only for Berdych to make it 5-5. A big first serve carries Berdych to match point only for Del Potro to save it with an ace.
6-6 - Del Potro buries his head into his hands after hitting the net holding a 30-15 lead before Berdych throws down a big ace to establish a 40-30 lead. Del Potro forces matters to deuce, but Berdych ekes out the game with a backhand winner down the line. 6-6. We head for another tie-break.
6-5 - No sign of a break in the 11th game with Del Potro getting his blow in first. Berdych must serve to carry us into a second set breaker. Plenty of bludgeoning winners from both men, but the bite off the Del Petro groundstrokes are suddenly carrying a bit more energy.
5-5 - Much better from Berdych in that game. Little or no difficulty in holding serve. Berdych doing a spot of stretching. Coming down to the business end of this set and we are no clearer in finding out the destination of the set.
5-4 - Del Potro holds to love as Berdych clips a forehand onto the top of the net before seeing the loose ball fly out of play. Number six seed Berdych must serve to stay in the set otherwise we are heading for a third set to settle this match. Difficult one to predict with both men dominant in spells so far.
4-4 - Berdych gets himself out of a tight spot by throwing down a couple of aces from 30-30. Really needed a couple of big serves and cheap points with the momentum going away from him. We are level at 4-4. The heat well and truly on in Madrid.
4-3 - Del Petro winning 15 of the past 20 points on his way to moving one game clear in the second set. Looked a beaten man a few games ago, but the tone of this match has changed. Questions suddenly being asked of Berdych, whose game has dropped a few gears.
3-3 - BREAK TO DEL POTRO! Berdych seems to have taken his foot off the gas as Del Potro races 30-0 clear. A forehand from deep collapses into the net, and suddenly Berdych is facing three break points. The Czech saves one break point, but Del Potro drives home a winner seconds later to restory parity. We are back on serve in this set.
2-3 - A poor returning game from Berdych as Del Potro breezes through his latest service game to love. A 3-2 lead for Berdych, who will serve for a 4-2 lead. Berdych has won 74% of points on first serve. Must lift himself here.
1-3 - A 40-30 lead for Berdych in the fourth game, but he calms his nerves with a blistering first serve that Del Potro can only empty into the net. Berdych three games away now from the final. Can Del Potro rescue himself here?
1-2 - Del Potro finds enough reserves of strength to hold in the third game. Staring down the barrel here with Berdych a set and a break up, but anything can happen on this blue clay. Berdych now up to eight aces in the match.
0-2 - Berdych seems to be on the verge of the final here. Looking the stronger figure the longer this match progresses. Del Potro not coping too well when he is forced to move. Berdych drops one point in that game to cement the break. He leads 2-0 with the break.
0-1 - BERDYCH BREAKS! Del Potro loses the first two points of the second set on serves, but immediately recovers with a couple of momentous blows. Berdych brings up break points by latching onto a short Del Petro ball to convert a winner across court on the forehand side. A fine return is too good for Del Potro as Berdych moves 1-0 ahead in this set.
6-7 - SET BERDYCH! Berdych starting to exert himself as an ace carries the Czech player 3-1 clear in the breaker. A winner up the line gives him a 4-1 lead with Del Potro starting to look a little flustered. Someone in the crowd needing a spot of treatment before Del Petro continues to flounder as Berdych moves 5-1 ahead only for the Argentine to come up some excellent points in winning the next four points to level at 5-5. Another Del Potro error followed by a forehand winner seals it for Berdych.
6-6 - Berdych pumping his fist after levelling at 15-15. Threw in a couple of poor shots on the volley, but manages to go unpunished. Keeps his cool. Del Potro moves 30-15 clear with a timely ace. A couple of errors fly off the racket of Berdych. We are all square at 6-6 in the first set. Tie-break time to settle this first set.
5-6 - Another tight game, but Berdych gets out of it holding his serve despite throwing in a double fault. Del Petro tugs a shot wide at 30-30 before Berdych slams away an overhead winner for a 6-5 lead. Del Potro must hold serve to force the breaker.
5-5 - BERDYCH BREAKS! Del Potro has missed eight out of nine first serves. Looks to be in all sorts of trouble on serve and is duly punished for a series of errors as Berdych breaks back to love to level at 5-5. Del Potro looks decidely unimpressed with something.
5-4 - Berdych keeps his opponent honest by holding again with Del Potro's movement appearing to be restricted by the pace of Berdych's groundstrokes, but he will need to find a break here otherwise Del Potro will trouser the opening set.
5-3 - Berdych wins the first two points with a couple of crushing winners. He continues to try to maintain this aggressive stance only to bundle a forehand into the court holding a 30-0 lead. Suddenly it becomes 30-30 as Berdych clips the net with a backhand attempt from deep. Berdych is again long seconds later with a backhand before an ace from Del Potro completes the hold for a 5-3 lead.
4-3 - Berdych keeps himself in touch by holding with minimal fuss. Del Potro with 89% of his first serves hitting the mark. That is the conundrum Berdych must look to solve in this eighth game of the match. Only five points dropped on serve so far by Del Potro.
4-2 - Del Potro comes up with a love game on serve to move within two games of the first set. He is really testing out Berdych with the amount of first serves he is getting in here. Berdych doesn't want to fall another break down at this juncture.
3-2 - Some solid hitting by Berdych to stay in a couple of points. Del Petro less sure of himself when he has to come to the net. He sees a backhand hit the tape before dropping on his side of the net. Berdych holding a 40-30 lead before a big first serve does the damage. A 3-2 lead for Del Potro with the break.
3-1 - The big man from Argentina is content to let Berdych come to the net. Thumps a couple of cracking winners beyond the Czech player before a booming first serve carries him 40-0 clear. Berdych recovers to win the next two points by backing up Del Potro, but Del Petro validates the break with another winning first serve.
2-1 - DEL POTRO BREAKS! Berdych winning a point at the net on the slide to open up the set in fine fashion. Del Potro draws level with a booming forehand winner. Del Petro warming to the task as he brings up a break point moments later. He converts in majestic style by drilling a backhand winner beyond Berdych from deep for a 2-1 lead. First break in the match.
1-1 - Berdych now goes two points up against serve with some fine double-handers then a pumping forehand wide of the Argentine. But a crisp first serve is sliced to net by the Czech, then an ambitious drive to the baseline is just long. Game point now as Delpo opens up a fine forehand but then he mis-hits one wide. Deuce. Then a pair of nice forehands on the run see Delpo gain advantage, which he takes with a wonderful diving forehand down the line! I thought he'd been beaten!
0-1 - Bedych on serve to start but Delpo wins the first two points as the Czech goes long while sliding about uncomfortably. A superb ace kicks him back into it but two break points for Delpo after a ferocious return - the first is eaten back with an old-fashioned (and not very clay) serve and volley; and deuce after a cracking ace. Well saved Berdych. A nice pass down the right gives him advantage, and Berdych holds from two break points down as Delpo hits long from the baseline.
14:40 - They're warming up now, should start in a minute or two.
- - What do you think of this blue clay nonsense? Rafael Nadal has threatened to bocyott Madrid, Nole stopped short of doing so but said it is a joke. Obviously the colour is not the issue - most hard courts are blue - but the compound itself is more slippery for some reason. Should they ban it or does it make Madrid more fun?
- - Del Potro: "I am really happy with my tennis, with my body and I am feeling really confident on clay. I don't feel any pain so it's a good sign for the next tournament and I think I'm getting better tournament by tournament."
- - Berdych: "I feel great. I'm in another semi-final, second in a row. To beat Fernando (Verdasco) made me feel great. It is always tough to beat Fernando, even though the score looks quite easy. It's not easy to beat a Top 20 player and he played great yesterday (against Rafael Nadal)."
- - FORM: Del Potro has won his last 10 matches on clay, and has not dropped a set in 22; Berdych has not been broken in 25 service games this week. These are men in their pomp, big servers and big hitters who love clay, and it should be a cracker.
- - The winner of this semi meets the winner of Janko Tipsarevic and Roger Federer's clash. That may seem like a done deal for the Fed but remember - Tipsy dumped Nole out in straight sets yesterday, with anything seemingly possible on the slippery blue clay of Madrid.
- - STATS: This is a clash of two very large men - Berdych stands at 6'5" with Del Potro an inch taller; Berdych is 91kg with Delpo six heavier; Berdych is ranked 7th in the world, Delpo 11th although he should move back towards the top five this season. Similar records this season - Berdych on 22/6, Delpo on 27/6.
- - HEAD TO HEAD: Del Potro leads 3-1, having won their last three matches. The only recent encounter was this season though, with Delpo winning in straight sets at Rotterdam. The Argentine's injury problems and subsequent seeding issues mean they had not met in three years before then. One of their matches was on the (red) clay of Madrid in 2009 - Delpo won that too, leading 6-2 4-1 before Berdych quit injured.
- - Hello and welcome to our LIVE coverage of the first Madrid Masters semi-final as a resurgent Juan Martin Del Potro faces the in-form Tomas Berdych, start scheduled for 3.30pm local time, 2.30 BST.
|Date of Birth||23/09/1988|
|Date of Birth||17/09/1985|