|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - 67 minutes - that's all it took for Federer to sweep aside Tipsarevic. A really dominant display, and he'll now take on Tomas Berdych in the final, which takes place tomorrow.
- - FEDERER 6-2 6-3 - WINNER! Tipsarevic fires a backhand to win the first point, but Federer responds with a service winner. A double fault from Federer gives Tipsarevic a chink of light, but an ace from the Swiss returns us to 30-30. Another super serve brings up match point, but Tipsy denies him that after a compelling rally. Federer will not be denied, though - he takes the next two points and cruises into the final!
- - FEDERER 6-2 5-3 - Tipsarevic nudges ahead at 30-15, only to peg himself back with his first double fault of the match. But he digs deep and grabs the next two points to hold. If Federer is going to wrap this up, he will have to do so behind his own serve.
- - FEDERER 6-2 5-2 - A mighty serve from Fed gives him advantage, but Tipsarevic is hanging on for all he's worth. Does he sense that this is his chance? Perhaps - but when a valiant running forehand fails to catch the line, Tipsarevic concedes the game and Federer is just one away from victory.
- - FEDERER 6-2 4-2 - Tipsy starts the next game with a very good return and he moves 30-0 up against serve with a cute forehand opened out across court. He gets stranded at the baseline though and Fed smashes one away. Federer brings it back to parity with another smash. But a break point as Tipsarevic makes the net after being sent all over the place, and he passes it wide of Fed! He should break now but just sends a backhand pass long! Deuce.
- - FEDERER 6-2 4-2 - Crucial hold from Tipsarevic as Federer was threatening to run away with it.
- - FEDERER 6-2 4-1 - No let-up from Federer, who moves to within two games of the match. I hope for his sake that final opponent Tomas Berdych isn't watching this performance.
- - FEDERER 6-2 3-1 - BREAK! There's just no stopping Federer here - having played patiently to bring up two break points at 15-40, he takes the first of them with a vicious forehand return across the court.
- - FEDERER 6-2 2-1 - The Swiss doesn't look like giving anything away on his own serve. Another comfortable hold. He had to work really hard to beat Milos Raonic earlier in the week, but since then he's been the form player.
- - FEDERER 6-2 1-1 - Good response from Tipsarevic - a hold to love. Much-needed from the Serb, who's showed such good form all week.
- - FEDERER 6-2 1-0 - If Tipsarevic is to fight his way back into the contest, you sense he'll need to strike early. No sign of that so far - when the pair get to 30-30, Federer steps up a gear with an ace down the middle and then stepping in to midcourt and drop-shotting.
- - FEDERER 6-2 - SET! Just delightful work from Federer, who eases to two set points on the Tipsarevic serve with a backhand ripped down the line to leave the Serb stranded. Tipsarevic saves the first, but he cannot prevent the second. That was clinical.
- - FEDERER 5-2 - Not this time - Federer looks irrepressible be hind the serve - and he's not afraid to step into the net and volley either. 64 seconds is all he needs to move 5-2 in front, finishing with the kind of approach and backhand volley that wouldn't look out of place on the grass at Wimbledon. Terrific play.
- - FEDERER 4-2 - The first straightforward hold of the match for Tipsarevic, who reels off four points on the spin. But he's got to break Federer in the next two service games or face going one set down to the veteran.
- - FEDERER 4-1 - Tipsarevic has a little hope as he grabs the first two points of the game, only for the Swiss to hit back. He just has so much time to run around on to his forehand and crash shots to either side. A crosscourt winner brings up game point, a volley at the net seals the game.
- - FEDERER 3-1 - BREAK! It's proving mighty hard work for Tipsarevic to stay with Federer in these early exchanges. Is the Serb tired from winning a crunch clash with Djokovic, or from the challenging weather conditions? Either way after three deuces Federer drills forehands until he brings up a break point, and pounces to take the first break of the contest.
- - FEDERER 2-1 - Serene progress from Federer on his own serve. The closest Tipsarevic gets to arresting his progress is when he stops to get something out of his eyeline when Federer is about to serve at 40-0. When the action resumes, Federer swings a forehand down the line to wrap up the game.
- - FEDERER 1-1 - There's a bit of wind blowing across the court in Madrid - Federer seems to have settled much better in these tricky conditions. He played a convincing match against Nadal in something similar early this year, and a drop shot to move 15-30 up is a sign that the Swiss is in control, but he misses a couple of forehands, allowing Tipsarevic to squeak through.
- - FEDERER 1-0 - He leads 3-0 in the head-to-heads, and Federer begins like a man who has the measure of his opponents. Four comfortable points, a hold to love, and he nudges in front.
- - HEAD TO HEAD: These two have met three times on the tour - Federer has won the lot. That includes one meeting on clay at the French Open, which Federer won 6-1 6-4 6-3 last year.
- - Earlier Tomas Berdych won through to the final by beating Juan Martin del Potro in two tight sets. Story
- - It's semi-final time, and it's Janko Tipsarevic, who ousted Novak Djokovic, in action against the world number three Roger Federer.
- - Good evening everyone and welcome to live text commentary from the Madrid Masters.
|Date of Birth||22/06/1984|
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|