No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 9-7 - WILLIAMS WINS THROUGH! Serena finally closes out a titanic battle with Zheng as the Chinese player wilts and the American and four-time champion is through to the fourth round in dramatic fashion! It's been a brilliant match, but Zheng falls just short. Serena will next take on Yaroslava Shvedova. Drawsheet
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 8-7 - BREAK! Williams finally breaks through as Zheng falls behind at last, and it's a brilliant effort from both players in an epic game that goes to an extended deuce. Williams can now serve out for the match!
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 7-7 - Williams levels once more with real composure as she finds three big serves at just the right time. Zheng fires a forehand down the line for a winner, but she cannot force the issue.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 6-7 - Zheng is very fired up as she clenches her fist in delight and relief after closing out another steely hold. Williams is frustrated as she fails to make an impact on Zheng's serve.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 6-6 - Williams again levels in nerveless fashion, and the American is really thriving as she keeps pace with Zheng. This match is very finely poised with neither player giving an inch.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 5-6 - Zheng moves in front once more under tremendous pressure from Williams, but she holds on. The Chinese player can attack Serena's serve once more.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 5-5 - Williams is undeterred by Zheng producing a brilliant passing shot down the line on the forehand side, and she responds with two booming serves as she goes on to hold.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 4-5 - Zheng is piling on the pressure, and she holds once more with a flurry of groundstrokes to thwart Williams and move in front at the business end of this set.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 4-4 - Williams flicks a forehand past Zheng's despairing dive, and the American is very fired up indeed as she holds serve to level up.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 3-4 - Zheng keeps her nose in front in this final set as the Chinese player seems utterly nerveless. Williams is battling very hard but cannot muster a breakthrough.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 3-3 - Williams drives a forehand down the line and finds three monstrous first serves, and the four-time champion is beginning to make her mark.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 2-3 - Zheng hammers a backhand down the line in emphatic fashion, and she does brilliantly to find three precise serves outwide. The pressure is now back on Serena.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 2-2 - What a recover from Williams! Zheng forces two break points at 15-40, but Serena shows incredible resolve and determination to pull through and hold to level at 2-2 in this final set.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 1-2 - Zheng holds under enormous pressure from Williams, and she does very well indeed to find three big first serves to bail herself out and secure the game.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 1-1 - Williams levels at 1-1 with a flurry of breathtakingly powerful strikes, and Zheng is left helpless behind the baseline as she attempts to compete.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 0-1 - Zheng takes the opening game of the third set in style as she hammers a forehand down the line, and the Chinese player is really having to battle here.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 6-2 - SET! Williams levels up this match as she serves out for the second set, and the American is back on track with Zheng having to respond once more.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 5-2 - BREAK! Williams breaks for a second successive game, and the American is really finding her groove now! The four-time champion is coasting towards the second set.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 4-2 - Williams hammers a forehand down the line and consolidates her break of serve very comfortably, and the American is really thriving now.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 3-2 - BREAK! Williams breaks serve very clinically as she continues to pile on the pressure, and Zheng finally buckles and implodes.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 2-2 - Williams holds with consummate ease to level at 2-2, and suddenly the American is beginning to really find her rhythm on serve.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 1-2 - Zheng is incredibly composed as she bludgeons a forehand cross court and moves in court to clip a crisp half-volley down the line. She's playing superbly!
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 1-1 - Serena holds to level at 1-1 at the start of the second set, and she lets out a roar of delight as she fires a forehand down the line to ensure that Zheng cannot respond.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 0-1 - Zheng holds at the start of the second set with real confidence, and the tie-breaker has only tightened her resolve as she moves ahead once more.
- - WILLIAMS 6-7 - SET! Zheng takes the opening set with a brilliant performance in the breaker, and Williams is left stunned as the Chinese player wins it 7-5. This match is very finely poised and Serena must now respond.
- - WILLIAMS 6-6 (4-4) - There is nothing to choose between the two players as Zheng and Williams trade winners from the back of the court, and the standard of play is superb!
- - WILLIAMS 6-6 - Zheng holds once more with a forehand winner and a flourish to match! The Chinese star is thriving on Centre Court, and we are into a first set tie-break!
- - WILLIAMS 6-5 - Williams is unfazed as Zheng hammers a forehand winner down the line, and the American is undeterred as she proceeds to hold under pressure.
- - WILLIAMS 5-5 - Zheng levels once more with a nerveless hold, and her serve is looking very reliable and steady as Williams attempts in vain to attack it.
- - WILLIAMS 5-4 - Williams is utterly clinical as she slams a vicious forehand down the line to beat Zheng's defences, and she finds a big serve to finish the game as she piles the pressure on her opponent.
- - WILLIAMS 4-4 - Zheng is a bundle of energy as she bounces around on the baseline after holding serve once more, and her first delivery is working very effectively as she closes out another solid game.
- - WILLIAMS 4-3 - This is a very tight match so far with Zheng hitting the ball very hard on return and keeping Serena guessing with some bright play. Serena still manages to hold to 30.
- - WILLIAMS 3-3 - Zheng levels up once more as the Chinese player drills a forehand down the line, and Williams is unable to make any real impression on her opponent's serve.
- - WILLIAMS 3-2 - It's a much better hold this time around from Serena as she finds the line with two forehands, and manages to keep Zheng pegged firmly back behind the baseline.
- - WILLIAMS 2-2 - Zheng is very composed as she fires three first serves outwide to keep Serena stretching, and she closes out a comfortable hold to level.
- - WILLIAMS 2-1 - Zheng really tests Williams with a series of crushing forehands which take the American back. But she pulls through to hold serve after an extended deuce.
- - WILLIAMS 1-1 - Zheng gets off to an equally assured start as she pounds a forehand cross court and drives a backhand winner down the line on successive points. The Chinese star holds with ease.
- - WILLIAMS 1-0 - Serena bludgeons a forehand down the line with real aplomb, and she wraps up a very comfortable opening service game with a big serve down the T. It's a typically confident start from the American.
- - Williams has a 5-0 head-to-head record against Zheng with wins at Wimbledon in 2004 and 2008. Can the Chinese player record her first win against her today?
- - The first match up on Centre Court will be sixth seed and four-time champion Serena Williams's third-round encounter with Jie Zheng, the 25th seed from China.
|Date of Birth||26/09/1981|
|Date of Birth||05/07/1983|