No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
|J Del Potro||6||7||7||-||-|
- - DEL POTRO 6-3 7-5 7-6 (11-9) - GAME, SET AND MATCH! Match point six comes up on his own serve for the first time, and armed with that weapon, he fires a service winner. Three hours and 20 minutes of hard work went into that result, and you can see the emotion from the 7th seed as he realises the job is done. Next up for the Argentine? Draw
- - DEL POTRO 6-3 7-5 6-6 (9-9) - Del Potro changes ends 4-2 ahead, but Mayer finds his way back to 4-4 and the 7th seed looks far from happy. A booming forehand down the line nudges him back in front. Mayer not giving up, and earns a set point by holding his serves. del Potro shuts that down with a forehand across his compatriot. It stays on serve, time and again, Mayer beaten despite keeping the ball in play via the net post. They change at 9-9.
- - DEL POTRO 6-3 7-5 6-6 - Mayer has forced a tie-break. It may yet be a straight sets win for del Potro, but these three hours have pushed the former champion very hard indeed.
- - DEL POTRO 6-3 7-5 5-5 - One match point comes and goes in a lengthy game on the Mayer serve. Mayer has been contending with the seventh seed all afternoon, but missing out at the key moments. This time, however, Mayer produces. Two more big forehands save match points two and three, and if del Potro is to wrap up the match, it won't be quite yet.
- - DEL POTRO 6-3 7-5 - BREAK AND SET! Del Potro turns the match on its head! Having held his serve, he races into a 0-40 lead against Mayer, and finishes with a forehand from midcourt straight past his compatriot. He's having some treatment out there but he's looking very comfortable indeed on court now.
- - DEL POTRO 6-3 5-5 - BREAK! Del Potro denies Mayer the second set! The seventh seed had been set point down, but saved it, and then followed up with a couple of vicious, biting forehands which turned it on his head.
- - DEL POTRO 6-3 4-5 - BREAK! A surprise on Grandstand as Mayer strikes at the business end of the second set! Del Potro had his break point chances earlier in the set, but could not take them, and now Mayer will serve to level the match.
- - DEL POTRO 6-3 - BREAK AND SET! Had to be - the seventh seed has been applying too much pressure and his Argentine opponent buckled. A forehand across Mayer seals the set in 42 minutes. Despite being compatriots, the pair have never met on the tour before - their encountercould be a brief one at this rate.
- - DEL POTRO 2-1 - BREAK! Early move for the seventh seed in the first set - and he'd seen two break points in the opening game as well. Hard to back against del Potro in this one - he's had his best season since the wrist injury put his career on hold in 2010, and he's in great form.
17:40 - Just about to begin on Grandstand, an all-Argentine third round match. Leonardo Mayer is up against 2009 champion Juan Martin del Potro. Awaiting the winner is a clash against either Fabio Fognini or the retiring hometown hero Andy Roddick. Draw
|Date of Birth||23/09/1988|
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|