No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-2 6-2 - GAME, SET AND MATCH! Djokovic eases to match point which an ace, and he finishes it off with a crushing two-handed backhand down the line. He has been unstoppable so far this week. Benneteau couldn't live with the Serb - will Wawrinka or Dolgopolov in the last 16 have any more luck? Draw
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-2 5-2 - BREAK! The end is in sight for Benneteau - that may be about the only consolation for the Frenchman at this stage. He loses his serve for the second time in succession, and after the change of ends, will surely face the music one last time.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-2 4-2 - Relentless - the Serb has conceded just three points on serve in this set, and wraps up another easy service game with a forehand slapped towards the far corner which Benneteau can only stab on the backhand into the net.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-2 3-2 - BREAK! 97 minutes intot he match, and Djokvic purring his way towards victory now. Two sets up and a break to the good. One unforced error and eight winners in the set, and for all Benneteau's experience, he'll rarely have faced anyone in this kind of mood.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-2 2-2 - Djokovic's points won on first serve percentage has hovered around the 80% mark all match long, and with numbers like that it's no surprise that Benneteau has not even seen a break point yet. The Serb levels up in the second set with a hold to 15.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-2 1-2 - Benneteau chuntering to himself - every point is a struggle, every play needs a bit of talking through. At 30-30 he summons a crucial ace down the middle, and that fires him on to the hold of serve.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-2 1-1 - Ace 11 from Djokovic moves him to 30-0 - it's not the speed - 124mph, which is the killer, but the canny placement. Benneteau just not close to him at the moment.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-2 0-1 - Benneteau begins the third set well, returning to serve and volley tactics and trying to hit the ball early. Hold to 15 is the result. It's a start.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-2 - SET! It's a one-two we've seen from Djokovic several times in this match, but the big serve, followed by forehand putaway in midcourt, is proving devastatingly effective. Back-to-back aces seal the set. Change of shirt for the Serb - what can Benneteau change?
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 5-2 - BREAK! First point slips out of Benneteau's grasp, then a backhand down the line goes narrowly wide and suddenly it's Benneteau's turn to worry. He drags it back to 30-30, but Djokovic is not to be denied. A second break in the bag, and he now will serve for the second set. Could be a very brisk afternoon's work.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 4-2 - Djokovic somewhat surprised to find himself 15-30 down, but one rifled forehand later he is back on terms, and two convincing service points after that the two-game cushion is restored.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 3-2 - Worries build for Benneteau when he finds himself 15-30 behind, but two big points in succession, including a full stretch lunge to steer an overhead across the court, turn the tables. Djokovic forces deuce with a return in at the toes. Benneteau blows game point, then saves break point. Somehow - somehow - the Frenchman hangs on.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 3-1 - One point after another rattles on to the scoreboard for Djokovic. It's something of a surprise when he serves a double fault - his first of the contest - at 40-0 up - mind you, he already has seven aces. Normal service resumes almsot immediately.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 2-1 - Djokovic's winners to unforced errors ratio is 20-4, Benneteau's is 8-8 - that tells you something about the way this match is going. Benneteau on the scoreboard with a decent hold, but he is a passenger at present.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 2-0 - What does Benneteau do here? He's thrown plenty at Djokovic already - but it's all come back with interest. At a set and a break ahead, the Serb is almost halfway to winning this match, and they've scarcely been on court 40 minutes.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 1-0 - BREAK! Get yourself back into the match with a comfortable hold after losing a set - that's the plan for Benneteau. But before he knows it he's 15-40 down as return after return from Djokovic seems to arrive back at the Frenchman's toes. Benneteau denies him once, but he's having to take too many risks, and forehand with too much angle costs him the game.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 - SET! The Frenchman having to try the extraordinary to keep up with Djokovic, and an ambitious drop shot lands the wrong side of the net to give Djokovic a 30-15 lead.Djokvoic brings up two set points, converting the second with an ace down the middle. Benneteau challenges that call, but it's in vain.
- - DJOKOVIC 5-3 - Benneteau ensures that the Serb will have to serve out for the game with an impressive hold. Finishing with an ace, and and couple of service winners in there as well. The 30-year-old giving all he can on Arthur Ashe - but he is staring down the barrel of a set deficit.
- - DJOKOVIC 5-2 - Benneteau has Djokovic on the run at 15-15 - no matter, the Serb hits a running forehand across the Frenchman at the net to move ahead. Already there's a sense that Djokovic has an answer to anything Benneteau can throw at him.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-2 - BREAK! The pressure builds on the Benneteau serve, and with a backhand winner and a forehand to follow, Djokovic earns the first break poitn of the match. Djokovic challenges the call that he's hit the ball out, but deuce comes, and Benneteau has a hint of a reprieve. It's a brief one, however - Djokovic fashions another break chance, and Benneteau pushes a forehand into the net to lose the game.
- - DJOKOVIC 3-2 - Four points - four crunching ones from Djokovic. Forehand down the line, and and a backhand drilled past Benneteau's settle this one. The Serb nudges back in front.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-2 - Serve and volley from Benneteau - and that's an interesting approach. Promising serve out wide to the Serb as well. He has to shake the world number two out of his comfort zone, and the initial results - a hold to 15 - are good.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-1 - A delightful drop shot from Benneteau chased down regardless - and that's the measure of the challenge the Frenchman faces. Hold to 15 for the Serb, who looks in ominous form as he has been all week.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-1 - Benneteau responds well to the gauntlet thrown down by Djokovic, reaching 40-15 - but the Serb then kicks into gear, peppering the baseline with groundstrokes and forcing deuce one again. The Frenchman digs deep and rifles a forehand to level.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-0 - The defending champion opens with a comfortable hold of serve. Benneteau draws Djokovic into a volley and the Serb splutters out wide, but that's as good as it gets, with the Serb finishing with an ace.
- - A slight delay on Arthur Ashe - Djokovic and Benneteau still warming up ahead of their clash - but they should begin shortly. Another fine-looking day weather-wise in New York.
- - Djokovic enjoys a 4-1 lead against Benneteau on tour - with the Frenchman's sole win coming at Indian Wells back in 2006. Since then it's fair to say that the defending champion here has stepped up a notch or two.
|Date of Birth||20/12/1981|
|Date of Birth||22/05/1987|