|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - GAME, SET AND MATCH SIMON! 6-4 Berdych races away to 40-0 to bring up three break points, but Simon stays calm in the face of the Czech's attack to clamber back to deuce with a couple of well-placed serves and a winning forehand. Berdych is long with a backhand on the run, but he saves the match point with a quite wonderful volley at the net after a longish rally. A big first serve brings up advantage before an ace finishes off Berdych. Simon through to the last four for the first time.
- - BREAK SIMON 5-4 - Astonishing collapse really here by Berdych. Broken for a second time when it looked like he was racing through this set leading 4-1. Simon has played a crafty game in recovering in his set. Brilliant defence and a lack of consistency by Berdych has left the Czech facing the exit door as he is backed up and knocks a ball wide from deep. Simon will serve for the match.
- - 4-4 - Simon drops in a second double fault as the score reaches 15-15. A forehand and winning overhead gives Simon a 30-15 lead before Berdych rifles a two-handed backhand into the net. A 40-15 lead for Simon. Another probing two-handed drive gives Simon a third straight game. The tide of this match changes. Simon back to 4-4. Can he break Berdych again?
- - BREAK SIMON! BERDYCH 4-3 - Berdych has never truly been at his best in this match. Has been found wanting in clattering the ball into the net from various parts of the court at key times. The forehand again lets the Czech man down badly as he hands two break back points to Simon. Berdych saves one of the break points, but knocks the ball long again seconds later. The French crowd right behind their man now.
- - BERDYCH 4-2 - Simon continues to provide a threat as he lets rip with a backhand down the line that carries him 40-15 clear. The Frenchman claims the next point to stay within striking distance of Berdych, who has had easier days at the office. Berdych will serve for a 5-2 advantage in this second set. Big moments coming up in this match.
- - BERDYCH 4-1 - Berdych moving well, powering the ball with those clubbing forehands and backhands. Drops only one point in that game on his way to establishing a 4-1 lead in this second set. Unless the Czech dramatically goes into himself, this match is heading for a deciding set. Berdych continues to have some success on the front foot.
- - BERDYCH 3-1 - Berdych with two more break points for the double break, but he can't convert them as his two-handed backhand is nudged horribly wide trying to return serve on the second one. Berdych would dearly love to knock the stuffing out of this Paris crowd and poses the question of Simon for a second time by guiding two forehands into the corners. Simon battles back for a second time to prevent the break. Chance of a double break eludes the Czech.
- - BERDYCH 3-0 - Berdych cements the break with an accomplised service game. Berdych with three aces now in the match. He has left Simon behind in this set so far. Dangerous times for the French player with Berdych really starting to find his range.
- - BREAK BERDYCH 2-0 - Silence among the Paris crowd as Simon sees a backhand slip wide from deep to hand Berdych his first break of the match. Simon's lack of power being exposed while Berdych suddenly finds the winners that were eluding him in the first set. Berdych punching the air. Right back in this match.
- - BERDYCH 1-0 - Berdych scampers along the baseline before lifting a backhand into the net to give Simon hope at 30-30. Simon dominant in the next point before he somehow manages to flick a backhand long at the net when it seemed easier to dink the ball down the middle for a winner. Simon sticks a return into the net seconds later. The fifth seed leads 1-0 in this second set.
- - SET SIMON 6-4 - Berdych swats another forehand wide to hand Simon three more set points, but this time on his serve. Gets the job done on the first one as he dances to the net before converting a cute little volley with Berdych stranded deep in the court at the other side of the net. A superb first set from Simon. Berydch made 25 unforced errors in that set compared to only 13 by his opponent.
- - SIMON 5-4 - The demands of that previous game get to Berdych as he drills a forehand into the net from the baseline to hand two set points to Simon. A winner down the line from a Berdych forehand staves off one of the break points before some hefty blows brings the Czech player back to deuce. Berdych again errs to hand his opponent a third set point. Not going according to plan for Berdych, but he comes up with a winning backhand to move to game point which he converts as Simon lifts a forehand.
- - SIMON 5-3 - Simon doing some marvellous work with his defence. Making Berdych play one more ball, but the Czech finally finds the formula with a winning backhand to drag himself back to deuce. Simon follows up a forehand with a winning volley at the net to carry himself to advantage. Real flowing tennis from the French player. Berdych continues to fight the good fight as that thumping forehand enables Berydch to convert a forehand at the net. Chances for both men, but Simon holds firm.
- - SIMON 4-3 - Simon ranked 20th in the world compared to Berdych's six, but Simon has a winning record of 4-2 on the h2h. Berdych really bleeding errors in his next service game, but he scrambles back to 30-30 before Simon can only balloon a return long. Still Simon refuses to go quietly into the night as Berdych again makes the error in a rally. A couple of booming Berdych serves enables the Czech to escape from a tight spot, but he is toiling for consistency out there on the groundstrokes.
- - SIMON 4-2 - They say it is not a break until the server wins his next game. That is what Simon does. And in some style as he holds to love to claim a 4-2 lead in his opening set. Impressive stuff by the French player early on. Certainly not daunted by what is confronting him on the other side of the net. Relishing the backing of the Paris crowd. A smattering of pressure on Berdych to respond.
- - BREAK SIMON 3-2 - Almost from nowhere, Simon brings up two break points as he invites Berdych to the net with a shorter ball before sending a backhand winner spinning down the line. Berdych misfires seconds later as the ball flies out to hand the Frenchman the first break of the match. Didn't really see that one coming, but the first break falls to the underdog. A 3-2 lead in this first set.
- - 2-2 - Already get the feeling here that the power of Berdych is going to prove too much for the French player as that big backhand speeds beyond Simon to level at 15-15. Simon gets fortunate with a call that is given out when it was in. The point is replayed before Simon embarks on winning three straight points to level at 2-2. Games remain on serve. The locals trying to rouse the home fans.
- - BERDYCH 2-1 - Shades of the opening Berdych service game as he rampages his way to 40-0 ahead before lifting a backhand from deep long to shed some light on Simon. That is quickly snuffed out with some dominant play at the net by the Czech player. A second hold then for Berdych in the opening three games of the match.
- - 1-1 - A type of Davis Cup atmosphere to the contest as the home fans begin the slow hand clap with the score at 30-30. Berdych forces the first break point when Simon misses with a backhand. Berdych almost sees a ball drop over the other side of the net in the next point but it comes back on the Czech's side to spare Simon being broken. Berdych thunders a backhand into the net on the next point before he clubs a forehand wide. We are level at 1-1.
- - BERDYCH 1-0 - A predictably strong start on serve to the match by the Czech player as he wins the first three points before his opponent rallies to claim the next two aided by a solid approach shot on the forehand side and a loose forehand from deep by Berdych that misses the target. Early hope for the home fans, but Berdych snuffs it out with a backhand winner that wrong foots his opponent. An impressive hold by Berdych.
- - 0-0 - Berydch to serve in this opening game of the match.
13:10 - The players are knocking up now. Of course the Czech has already secured his place in the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals next week.
13:00 - Welcome to today's coverage from Bercy as local favourite Gilles Simon faces Tomas Berdych, the second highest ranked player left in the field, in the opening quarter-final of the Paris Masters.
|Date of Birth||27/12/1984|
|Date of Birth||17/09/1985|