No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So Andy Murray is through to face Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open final on Sunday, in a repeat of that classic US Open final from four months ago
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-7(2) 6-2 - GAME, SET & MATCH!!! The first match point is saved by Federer when he comes up with a huge first serve that Murray can only return into the net. The Scot challenges but the ball caught the outside of the line. But Murray does seal the match at the second attempt after exactly four hours when Federer sends a forehand long of the baseline
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-7(2) 5-2 40-15 - Federer pulls a cross court forehand wide into the tramlines to hand Murray a 0-30 lead against serve. The Swiss roars back with an inisde out forehand winner across court before Murray brings up TWO MATCH POINTS with another crunching forehand return of serve winner...
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-7(2) 5-2 - A 20th ace from Murray, down the centre of the court, quickly followed two points later by a 21st, this time out wide helps Murray to two game points. Only the one is needed though as he finds another great first serve that Federer can only return into the net. Federer will have to serve to stay in this match after the change of ends
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-7(2) 4-2 - Consecutive forehands into the net from Murray help Federer get off the mark and from there the second seed goes on to hold to love with a forehand volley dinked into the open court
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-7(2) 4-1 - Too good from Murray as he rattles a forehand winner down the line to comfortably beat Federer for pace and to hold to love once again
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-7(2) 3-1 - Murray crunches a forehand winner off a poor second serve from Federer to deny the Swiss on a game point. But Fed recovers quickly and produces a much better serve to set up another game point and the go on to hold
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-7(2) 3-0 - A shockingly poor drop shot attempt from Federer, a forehand sliced well short into the net, helps Murray hold to love to consolidate the break
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-7(2) 2-0 - BREAK! Federer skips around the ball only to send a forehand wide down the line and hand Murray an early break point in this fifth set. And a completely mis-timed and mis-hit backhand from Federer sees him concede his serve, the ball going much further up in the air than it did forward
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-7(2) 1-0 - Murray comes up with one of his best serves in a while - a 207kph bullet - on his way to an important opening hold in this final set
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-7(2) - SET! Federer only needs the one set point though, putting down a decent first serve that puts Murray on the back foot. And eventually the Scot dumps a backhand into the net to concede. For the first time in a match between these two players we will have a fifth set!
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-6 (2-6) - TIE-BREAK! Federer crunches a forehand return of serve winner off another glacially slow second serve from Murray. The Scot then puts a backhand return of serve to hand Federer four set points...
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-6 (2-4) - TIE-BREAK! Federer races out to a 2-0 lead in the breaker when Murray puts a backhand into the net followed by only a 77mph serve that the Swiss can leap all over. But Murray recovers with a great first serve and then levels when Federer puts a tight forehand into the net. Things get back on serve when Murray puts a backhand long but Fed gets the mini-break again with a smash that Murray can only return wide
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-6 - BREAK! Murray is furious with himself after getting Federer on the run only to send his cross court forehand wide. That was a completely makeable shot but Murray pulled it wide and it will be a tie-break to decide this fourth set, and maybe even the match
- - Murray takes the first point of the game with a sublime backhand passing shot down the line before dropping the second with a forehand just long of the baseline. A huge serve out wide that Federer can only return into the net sees the Scot sneak out in front again before a smash from Federer, which Murray returns wide, sees the Swiss level up again. And an unbelievable injection of pace on a backhand down the line from Federer brings up an immediate break back point ...
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 6-5 - BREAK! Federer suffers a dip in play at just the one moment and Murray strikes to earn himself three break points. But he only needs the one when another lengthy rally ends with an under-pressure Federer sends his sliced backhand down the line long. Murray will serve for the match after the change of ends
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 5-5 - A high forehand volley winner into the open court, followed by a flicked forehand winner from the Scot see him go 30-0 up. An injection of pace on a cross court backhand ends a rally when Federer puts his response into the net. And he goes on to hold to love when Federer lets him off the hook after a slow second serve
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 4-5 - A great volley from Murray and even better inch-perfect lob, followed by a forehand into the net from Federer sees Murray go 0-30 ahead on the Fed serve. The Swiss recovers to level at 30-30 while a second serve return from Murray sails long and leaves him yelling at himself in frustration. But Federer puts a cross court forehand long and it's all square again at deuce. Murray can't challenge a cross court forehand from Fed as he's run out and Fed goes on to hold.
- - There were a couple of controversial calls in that game when Murray challenged on consecutive points, having to replay the first when he didn't think he should have to and not getting to replay the second when he thought he should have been able to. But the Scot showed his new-found maturity to shake that off and go secure that hold
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 4-4 - Federer gets a little lucky on consecutive net-cords. Murray deals with the first and puts in a great sliced backhand approach shot. But the second carries the ball up and over Murray's racquet for a passing shot winner. A flicked backhand from Federer lands right on the outside of the line to bring up another break point. Fed misses his inside out forehand across court to waste it and Murray goes on to hold when Fed hits into the net
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 3-4 - BREAK! Murray levels at 30-30 by easily getting up to a poor drop shot from Federer and putting a forehand winner away down the line. All of a sudden, he has a break back point after a dipping passing shot that Fed can only return into the net. And sure enough Murray does break back, a brilliant inside-out forehand across court from the Scot, only being framed into the crowd by Murray
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 2-4 - Murray is not serving nearly as well in this set as before, making just 38 per cent of his first serves compared to the high 60s, low 70s of the first three sets. But he holds to 15 to stop the rot and at least remain just the one break down
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 1-4 - Federer absolutely nails an inside-out forehand across court for a winner after a trademark backhand down the line. It brings up three game points. The first goes begging when a Federer backhand goes long but he does hold at the second attempt when Murray sends a forehand long.
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 1-3 - BREAK! Murray is furious with himself after a sliced backhand wide down the line hands Federer a 0-30 lead against serve. That quickly turns into three break points for Federer when Murray slaps his backhand approach shot long. Murray saves the first with a great first serve down the centre of the court and then also the second with an ace out wide. But Fed does break at the third attempt when Murray pulls a cross court forehand wide and slightly long
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 1-2 - Federer recovers to hold after dropping the first point of the game; aces number five and six sandwiching a cross court smash winner
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 1-1 - Murray leaps into a high forehand which he batters inside-out across court for a winner to hold to 30 and get his side of the scoreboard ticking over in this fourth set
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 0-1 - Great returning from Murray as he earns himself a break point in the very first game of the fourth set. He slips on the baseline, though, trying to change direction to an inside-out cross court forehand from Federer and the chance goes begging. And Federer goes on to hold, at the second attempt, with a forehand winner
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3 - SET! Murray dictates from the baseline, eventually drawing the error from Federer, to getting off the mark after going 0-15 down. A 209kph ace down the centre of the court sees him go 30-15 up before a forehand winner down the line (after backing away from the ball) earn him two set points. But only the one is needed as he seals the set with another ace straight down the centre of the court
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 5-3 - Federer holds to 30 with an ace of his own to force Murray to serve out this first set...
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 5-2 - An ace out wide from Murray - the Scot landing the ball right on the sideline - helps him on his way to a love hold to consolidate the break, something he achieves on the next point when Federer puts a forehand long. The Swiss will have to serve to stay in this set after the change of ends
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 4-2 - BREAK! A really poor game from Federer. The world number two puts a backhand long down the centre of the court to hand Murray three break points. He saves the first with a much better first serve but another shocking error - a backhand wide down the line - sees the Scot seal the break
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 3-2 - Murray now is the one left yelling "come on" when he gets a game point from 30-30 after a Federer forehand drops just long. And the Scot does hold from there, pushing Federer from side-to-side along the baseline before racing into the net and finding a forehand winner
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 2-2 - Not too many points are going against the server at the moment as Federer holds with ease once again to level up
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 2-1 - Three volley errors in quick succession from Federer help Murray on his way to a love service hold before another flicked forehand from the Scot, on the run, does enough across court to see Federer put his forehand reply wide down the line. It is a love hold for the Scot.
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 1-1 - Federer goes on to hold from deuce, without dropping another point. An ace gives the Swiss a game point before a forehand winner secures him the game
- - Federer is left muttering to himself when he goes 0-30 down against serve. He recovers to level with a forehand volley winner followed by a smash winner, off a fairly weak lob from Murray, But a slightly mis-hit backhand wide across court from Federer, after another lengthy rally, hands Murray a break point. It goes begging when Federer puts a forehand down the line that Murray, on the run, can only return wide back across court. Deuce.
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) 1-0 - Murray recovers from the disappointment of dropping that second set quickly, holding for the loss of just the one point - which goes when he sends a forehand down the line just narrowly long
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-7(5) - SET! Federer has levelled the match! That was a huge set from Federer and he knows it - another yell of "allez" coming from the Swiss as Murray's forehand drifts just long of the baseline. We're all square in this Australian Open semi-final.
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-6 (5-6)- TIE-BREAK! Murray further reduces the deficit with a stunning inside-out forehand winner across court, initially called out but changed after a hawkeye challenge from Murray. The Scot then levels at 4-4 when Fed puts a regulation backhand into the bottom of the net. This time it is Federer's turn to steady the ship with a great first serve and he goes on to earn himself a set point with a brilliant backhand passing shot winner after Murray had mis-timed a forehand smash..
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-6 (2-4) - TIE-BREAK! Federer puts a low forehand into the net to drop the first point of the breaker before Murray does almost exactly the same thing to hand the initiative back to Federer. A forehand long from Murray on the next point adds to Fed's tally. Federer extends his lead to 4-1 with a couple of great points, before a Murray stops the rot with a much better first serve that Fed returns into the net. The crowd clearly want this to go the distance, they are clearly behind Fed
- - MURRAY 6-4 6-6 - It's tie-break time. Murray runs through another comfortable service hold to force the breaker as an end to this second set
- - MURRAY 6-4 5-6 - Federer leads once again after a huge service hold, in which he flung down a couple of unreturnable serves before sealing the game with an ace. Murray will have to serve to stay in this set for a second time after the change of ends
- - MURRAY 6-4 5-5 - Murray ends another lengthy rally with a huge backhand winner that he lands right on the outside of the sideline. And sure enough the Scot does hold to 15 when Federer puts a backhand just marginally long of the baseline - it takes a hawkeye challenge to confirm the call
- - MURRAY 6-4 4-5 - Murray is beginning to look a little frustrated with Federer as the world number two holds to 15 once again to leave the Scot serving to stay in the set after the change of ends
- - MURRAY 6-4 4-4 - Murray races through a love service hold, scrampering across the baseline and rattling a forehand winner down the line to seal the game
- - MURRAY 6-4 3-4 - Fantastic reach from both players up at the net ends when Murray flicks his wrist at a forehand volley and somehow finds a cross court winner. But it is Murray's only point of the game as Federer eases through another hold to sneak ahead once again
- - MURRAY 6-4 3-3 - A great sliced backhand approach from Murray does the trick as Federer puts his backhand passing shot attempt into the net and wastes the opportunity to earn himself a break point. And another huge serve, an ace in fact, seals the game for Murray. Murray's first serve percentage for the match is 71 per cent. And he wins 69 per cent of points behind that first serve.
- - MURRAY 6-4 2-3 - Murray puts an easily makeable cross court forehand into the net to waste the opportunity to set up three more break points. A backhand sliced long on the next point from the Scot allows Federer to level up at 30-30 before a beautifully timed backhand from Federer helps end another 16-stroke rally when Murray hits into the net. Federer slices a backhand into the net to allow Murray to level at deuce but then goes on to hold with consecutive unreturnables
- - MURRAY 6-4 2-2 - A 16-shot rally ends in with a vintage Federer backhand down the line that Murray cannot return in play. But he puts an almost identical shot wide on the next point to help Murray set up two game points. And the Scot only needs the one, a big first serve doing the damage as Federer puts his attempted passing shot into the net
- - MURRAY 6-4 1-2 - Federer finally finds his first ace of the match, to seal a hold to 15 of his own, and remain just out in front in this second set
- - MURRAY 6-4 1-1 - A 206kph serve down the centre of the court from Murray brings him to to six aces already, equalling the total number aces he hit in his entire semi-final against Jeremy Chardy. And ace number seven, this time out wide, seals a hold to 15
- - MURRAY 6-4 0-1 - A huge hold for Federer as he takes the opening game of the second set. Murray pushes him to deuce before the world number two bounces back with a huge first serve and then by finally dictating the play from the baseline for a change and eventually drawing the error from the Scot, a forehand into the net
- - In eight of the last nine times these two have faced each other, the man who has won the first set has gone on to win the match. The only occasion on which that was not the case was in the Wimbledon final last year when Murray won the first set before Federer bounced back to win the match in four
- - MURRAY 6-4 - SET! Murray unleashes a forehand down the line, after running round the ball. Federer can only put his reply into the bottom of the net and Murray has two set points. Only one is needed though, Murray producing a big first serve and bigger forehand that again Federer can only put into the net. First set to the Scot.
- - MURRAY 5-4 - Much better again from Federer as he holds without any drama this time around to force Murray to serve out the set after the change of ends. A big first serve down the centre of the T seals the game for Fed when Murray puts his return into the top of the net
- - MURRAY 5-3 - A love service game from Murray is sealed by the Scot with a cross court backhand that Fed can only return into the net down the line, also on the backhand. Federer will have to serve to stay in this opening set
- - MURRAY 4-3 - Federer hangs on t as he comes up with an unreturnable serve and a solid enough serve, that Murray can only return into the net, to hold
- - A flicked cross court forehand from Murray stretches Federer as he comes into the net. The world number two does well to get the forehand back down the line but Murray is there easily and riffles his backhand passing shot winner down the line to bring up two more break points. Federer saves the first after another trip into the net. And then also the second with a backhand smash that Murray does brilliantly well to get to let alone get the ball back down the line. It lands just wide though..
- - MURRAY 4-2 - Murray backs away and backs away from a cross court backhand of Federer's to thump the forehand winner down the line. He goes on to earn himself two game points with another ace, this time down the centre of the court. Although the first goes begging with a cross court backhand that drops just a milimetre wide (shown by hawkeye), he holds once again at the second attempt when Federer puts a backhand return into the net.
- - MURRAY 3-2 - Much better from Federer on serve this time around as he holds to love when Murray hits an off-balance forehand into the bottom of the net. Not only was that Federer's first love service hold but it was also the first service game of his without break points.
- - MURRAY 3-1 - A 213kph ace across court from Murray saves it before he gets incredibly lucky after a lob from Federer drops just marginally wide. Federer prevents Murray from holding with a great forehand return, after running around the ball. But a huge serve out wide from Murray, followed by an emphatic forehand smash, sets up another game point. And this time he secures the hold when Federer slices his backhand return long of the baseline
- - Murray looks like he is cruising towards a love service hold to consolidate the break, an ace included, but slaps a forehand long to allow Federer back into the game before the world number two withstands the power of Murray, who puts a backhand into the net. And a good enough pass from Fed, Murray putting his backhand volley wide in response, to see Fed level at deuce. And Murray then hands Federer a break back point with another backhand error...
- - MURRAY 2-1 - BREAK! Again the chance goes begging though as Murray pulls a cross court forehand just marginally wide to end another lengthy rally. Fed is having trouble hitting through Murray and he sends a forehand sailing long to hand Murray a fourth chance. And this time the Scot does break, another injection of pace (on the forehand across court) again doing the damage as Fed puts his reply into the very bottom of the net
- - Murray earns himself another two break points with a huge injection of pace on a backhand across court that even Federer cannot quite get to in time to do anything but return into the bottom of the net. Murray squanders the first with a forehand cross court passing shot that sails wide. And the second also goes begging when Murray puts a backhand into the net. He earns himself a third chance though with a forehand winner across court that completely fools Fed for direction...
- - MURRAY 1-1 - Murray opens with a comfortable service hold, Federer having a long look at a call that gets corrected immediately by the line-judge but opting not to challenge at this early juncture. Murray quickly moves on from there to hold with an unreturnable serve
- - MURRAY 0-1 - Federer opens with an unreturnable serve before Murray gets his account underway with two huge forehands - one down the line and then an inside-out winner across court. A huge 29 shot rally ends when Federer puts his forehand approach shot just long and Murray has an early break point. Fed saves it with a big serve out wide and a forehand volley winner. And Fed goes on to hold with an inside-out forenand winner on the angle. Great opening game!
- - Murray won the toss but bizarrely chose neither to serve nor to receive. Instead he chose which end he wanted to start. Federer then chose to serve first so, warm-up complete, it will be the world number two to kick things off...
- - The photos and the coin toss over and done with, there is just the 10 minute warm-up left to go before play gets underway.
- - The players are just walking down the tunnel now - the long walk from the locker room to the entrance to the Rod Laver Arena where Craig Willis is waiting to announce them. Murray is leading the way, with Federer following shortly behind
- - The weather is actually not great in Melbourne today. Obviously it's a night match but it's pretty overcast and currently around 18 degrees with the temperature is due to drop as low as 14 degrees. There is no rain currently scheduled though, and even if there was they would only have to pause long enough to shut the roof.
- - Or why not get in touch on Twitter with your predictions, questions and comments. Follow on Twitter @pippawdavis
- - Don't forget that you can watch today's match, as well as both of the finals this weekend, LIVE in full on the Eurosport Player. Just click here to subscribe.
- - Of course, all those stats mean nothing really when it comes to the top players so you pretty much have to ignore all that and just wait to see who plays better today!
- - They've played each other four times in best-of-five-sets matches - the US Open final in 2008, the Australian Open final in 2010, last year's Wimbledon final and the Olympics final - and only one of them has gone further than three sets. That was the epic Wimbledon final that Federer won 4-6 7-5 6-3 6-4.
- - Only one of Murray's victories have come in a best-of-five sets match though, that Olympics final triumph at Wimbledon last August. Although as it turned out Murray wrapped things up in three pretty comprehensive sets.
- - These two have a long history of facing each other, with a whopping 19 meetings having taken place between them in the past seven years. Murray leads the head-to-heads with 10 wins to Federer's nine.
- - This match decides who will face world number one and two-times defending champion Novak Djokovic in Sunday's final. In case you missed it yesterday, Djokovic crushed fourth seed David Ferrer in straight sets to keep alive his hope of becoming the first man in the open era to win three consecutive Australian Open titles. Djokovic demolishes Ferrer to reach final
- - Hello and welcome to the second men's semi-finals between second seed Roger Federer, five-times former champion in Melbourne, and third seed Andy Murray, reigning US Open champion
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|