No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 6-3 - GAME, SET, MATCH! - Murray deftly backhands himself a match point at 30-30, but the net takes his shot wildly off-target for deuce. Another comes on advantage, and he doesn't make any mistakes this time. Almost a warm-up for Murray as he sweeps aside the spent Simon to reach the quarters!
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 5-3 - Another straightforward hold, another two aces, and Murray will serve for the match if he doesn't break Simon's serve first.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 4-3 - And Simon almost holds to love right back, but for a good Murray return at 40-0. Nonetheless, The stubborn Simon will battle his way to the bitter end, though a break down he's unlikely to see a fourth set.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 4-2 - Murray despatches another hold in short order with just the four serves.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 3-2 - Simon is stretching out cramp at every opportunity between points, but erratic returns from Murray make his hold to 30 rather comfortable. He calls for the trainer after the service game but surely his pride will insist that he finishes this one out.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 3-1 - After succumbing to two quick points, Simon is able to engage Murray's serve a little better but despite winning the one point falls to a straightforward hold from there. Three more games for the Olympic champion to reach the last eight.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 2-1 - BREAK! - And there it is. Very easy for the Scot to wrong-foot the knackered Simon and on two occasions he casually sends the ball across the advancing opponent en route to breaking him to 15.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 1-1 - It isn't taking much, however, for Murray to wear Simon down in rallies. Stretching his play is yielding results at a gradually-faster rate. Muzza gets a comfortable hold to 15 of his own to that extent and another break is likely round the corner if he can seize control of the play on the counter.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 0-1 - Simon begins the uphill struggle of the third set comfortably enough, serving well to hold to 15 against the Scot.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 - SET! - After getting caught out for an early point, Murray snaps into focus and absolutely hammers Simon on serve, taking four quick points - the final two with aces - to wrap up a mercy-killing of a second set.
- - MURRAY 6-3 5-1 - BREAK! - Murray patiently waits for his chance at a triple-break, keeping up with Simon's serve to deuce before stepping up his attack and forcing the errors to now serve for 2-0 in sets.
- - MURRAY 6-3 4-1 - After stalling in the follow-up to his first break of the set, Murray is considerably sharper to hold on this time around and stretch out his lead. 4-1 up plus the first set now.
- - MURRAY 6-3 3-1 - BREAK! Simon is particuularly struggling with the low ball out to the forehand side from Murray and the Scot takes full advantage of that knowledge, immediately re-establishing his break advantage in this second set with a run of punishing rallies on the Frenchman
- - MURRAY 6-3 2-1 - BREAK! Just like the start of the opening set, Murray fails to capitalise on his early break and promptly hands Simon a lifeline by allowing him to break back with a series of poor groundstrokes from 30-0 up
- - MURRAY 6-3 2-0 - BREAK! Simon is left breathing incredibly hard after another punishing rally. He was waiting for an out call on a Murray forehand into the corner but it never came and it gives the Scot another break point. Simon saves it with another foray into the net and a volley winner but Murray gets another chance and this time he does break, a beautifully angled forehand winner across court leaving Simon doubled over in exhaustion.
- - MURRAY 6-3 1-0 - Murray gets back to 30-30 from 0-30 with a spinning ace out wide and a forehand across court that the fatigued Simon cannot return. An inside-out forehand winner across court forehand from the Scot brings up a game point, while another forehand long from the Frenchman helps Murray hold
- - MURRAY 6-3 - SET! Simon sends a forehand long of the baseline to hand Murray a first set point. And one is enough, the Scot again getting Simon on the move and drawing the error from the Frenchman, an attempted cross court forehand into the net
- - MURRAY 5-3 - Back-to-back love service games from Murray as he finds another ace, his third of the day, on his way to leaving himself potentially just one game away from this opening set with 30 minutes on the clock. Simon will have to serve to stay the set next
- - MURRAY 4-3 - Murray earns himself another break point when he stops mid-rally and challenges a Simon forehand that was called good. Hawkeye shows the Scot was right to challenge but Simon saves the break point with an injection of pace on an inside-out forehand across court after a lengthy rally. He gives Murray a second chance with a double fault but again he saves it and then goes on to hold with his first ace of the day
- - MURRAY 4-2 - Simon sends a backhand passing shot whistling long of the baseline before Murray goes on to hold to love, finding an ace down the centre of the court in the process
- - MURRAY 3-2 - Murray completely skies a forehand down the line, sending it sailing a good few metres long of the baseline and helping Simon hold to 15 to secure his first hold of the day, ensuring he remains just the one break adrift in this opening set
- - MURRAY 3-1 - Murray slices a backhand just wide across court to allow Simon to level at 30-30 before the Scot batters a forehand winner to bring up a game point. That game point goes begging with a forehand into the net but an ace brings up a second. That game point also goes begging with a forehand into the net but he finally holds at the third attempt when Simon volleys into the net
- - MURRAY 2-1 - BREAK! A decent but not especially good forehand drop shot from Murray is way too much for Simon, who very slow jogs up to the ball but not before the double bounce. That's some (understandably) lethargic movement right there. It brings up more break points for Murray and again he takes advantage when Simon hits into the net
- - MURRAY 1-1 - BREAK! Simon is clearly trying a new tactic for this match as he comes into the net, forcing Murray to go for the backhand passing shot - a shot he pulls just wide to gift the Frenchman three immediate break back points. But only one is needed and Simon does break back to love when Murray puts a mis-timed forehand down the line into the net
- - MURRAY 1-0 - BREAK! Murray ends a 25-stroke with a forehand approach shot into the net but Simon does much the same on the next point, albeit with a forehand long, to hand the Scot an early break point. And it is one Murray takes full advantage of, Simon putting a tame forehand into the net to concede his serve early on
- - The players are ready to go and it will be Simon to get the clash underway by serving first, Murray having won the toss and elected to receive, as is his tradition
- - Coming up next on the Hisense Arena will be third seed Andy Murray's next clash. He is up against French 14th seed Gilles Simon, who yesterday described himself as "a wreck" after needing two hours of treatment to come out of a full-body cramp post beating his fellow Frenchman Gael Monfils in over four hours on Saturday night
|Date of Birth||27/12/1984|
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|