|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - After three clay-court finals, and two titles, in the past months, Nadal is now also back on the hard-courts. That was his first win on the surface but he looked pretty confident and will only get better! The world number five will face Leonardo Mayer in the third round, the Argentine having beaten Russian seed Mikhail Youzhny earlier today Men's drawsheet
- - NADAL 7-6(3) 6-2 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Nadal earns himself two match points but only the one is needed when he races up to the net and dinks a forehand over the net and just out of reach of Harrison, who is also up at the net.
- - NADAL 7-6(3) 5-2 - Harrison does well to stop the run of games against him and double his output in this second set. He puts up a brave but, as it turns out, correct challenge and goes on to secure the game when Rafa sends a forehand into the net. Nadal will have the change to serve out the match though
- - NADAL 7-6(3) 5-1 - Nadal holds this time in a much more comfortable fashion as Harrison runs around the ball only to send his forehand wide and slightly long down the line. The American will have to serve to stay in this match, next
- - NADAL 7-6(3) 4-1 - BREAK! Nadal comes up with a stunning dipping forehand down the line that Harrison cannot return despite just, just, getting a racquet to the ball. That's a break to love for Nadal and he is well on his way into the third round now
- - NADAL 7-6(3) 3-1 - Nadal saves two break points with consecutive aces but a backhand just long down the line hands Harrison a third chance. Nadal saves it with a great second serve that the American can only return into net and eventually goes on to hold, and consolidate the break, when Harrison fails to get a forehand into play.
- - NADAL 7-6(3) 2-1 - BREAK! Harrison saves a first break point with a trip into the net and even manages to earn himself a game point but he can't stop Nadal from coming back for another break point. This time the American saves it with an ace but Nadal gets a third chance with a forehand winner down the line. And this time Nadal does break, rattling a backhand passing shot across court for a winner off a shorter ball.
- - NADAL 7-6(3) 1-1 - No winners in Nadal's opening service game but he still holds to love when Harrison puts a forehand return into the net
- - NADAL 7-6(3) 0-1 - Harrison has come out for the second set swinging from the hip, rattling off three clean winners as he holds to love and start the second set on a positive note
- - NADAL 7-6(3) - SET! Nadal takes the first set in 55 minutes despite squandering the first set point on a double fault. But he comes into the net again on the second and this time Harrison has no escape, a backhand stop volley from Nadal sealing the opening set
- - NADAL 6-6(6-2) - TIE-BREAK! Nadal somehow guesses right in the middle of the court to block back a Harrison passing shot off the forehand volley and deep into the back of the court. That brings up four set points for the world number five...
- - NADAL 6-6(5-1) - TIE-BREAK! A perfect breaker performance from Nadal as he closes in on the net to fire down a forehand volley winner to go 4-1 up before Harrison sends a forehand wide down the line to drop another point just before the change of ends
- - NADAL 6-6 - Nadal produces a blistering off-backhand service return winner across court to take the first point from Harrison and put real pressure on the young American. But Harrison does well to withstand that pressure and goes on to hold with an ace and force the first set tie-break
- - NADAL 6-5 - Nadal keeps all the pressure on Harrison with a much more solid service hold once again. He sneaks ahead and leaves Harrison serving to stay in this opening set for the second time
- - NADAL 5-5 - Another very solid service hold from Harrison despite carrying the pressure of having to serve to stay in this set. But the young American holds with a forehand winner and very still on level terms
- - NADAL 5-4 - No question that after a couple of slower games, Nadal is mentally back in this match as he eased through a service hold which he seals when he sends a forehand winner down the line
- - NADAL 4-4 - Well, well. Harrison makes a couple of trips into the net and really puts the pressure on Nadal, who makes a couple of mistakes as a result. The last of those mistakes is a forehand long of the baseline and it hands Harrison a well-deserved hold as he properly levels things up
- - NADAL 4-3 - BREAK! A couple of moments of indecision, combined with a double fault from Nadal, really cost the Spaniard as she hands Harrison the break back at the first attempt. We are back on serve in this first set
- - NADAL 4-2 - Harrison was very close to being 5-1 down as Nadal enjoyed another break point. But the American save it with a forehand winner before going on to hold when Nadal hit a forehand approach shot into the net
- - NADAL 4-1 - Nadal is beginning to run away with this clash now as he holds without any trouble to consolidate the break. Harrison, at the moment, doesn't look like he has any answers at all
- - NADAL 3-1 - BREAK! A weak volley from Harrison hands Nadal two early break points. But only the one is needed as Harrison sends an off-balance forehand into the top of the net to concede the game
- - NADAL 2-1 - Unlucky for Harrison as his reaction forehand just fails to come off and instead drops just into the net. But Nadal was already comfortable in the game and that only confirms the hold
- - NADAL 1-1 - The crowd seems confused as to who they should be rooting for. On the one hand, Nadal is loved around the world and they are obviously pleased to see him back but on the other hand, Harrison is the local boy that they want to see win. There is definitely a big cheer as Harrison holds without trouble
- - NADAL 1-0 - Rafa looks to be cruising towards a love service hold before Harrison pushes him back behind the baseline to draw the forehand error from the Spaniard and then finds a forehand winner to peg Rafa back to 40-30. But a solid enough serve from the fiftfh seed sees Harrison send a forehand long and help Nadal to hold
- - Harrison won the toss and opted to receive first, testing out the Nadal serve early on is not a bad move by the American.
- - Good news Rafa Nadal fans. The only match that could have held up his return to hard-courts, the women's match before him on Stadium 1, has now finished. World number one Victoria Azarenka has just beaten Daniela Hantuchova 6-4 6-1. So Rafa will be on court at 3am UK time (7pm California time). That's about 35 minutes time, folks.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||07/05/1992|