|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So, Nadal is through to the Indian Wells Masters final but who will he face? World number one Novak Djokovic or world number seven Juan Martin Del Potro? That match is up next.
- - NADAL 6-4 7-5 - GAME, SET & MATCH! This time Nadal does wrap up the win, Berdych sending a backhand wide across court
- - NADAL 6-4 6-5 - Berdych hits a mis-timed forehand into the middle of the net and it's match point Nadal. The crowd thinks he's won it with an ace but the ball caught the net on the way through, giving Berdych a second chance. And Nadal squanders it with an uncharacteristic, wild forehand well long. He'll have a second match point though, Berdych this time putting a backhand into the net...
- - NADAL 6-4 6-5 - Berdych makes a great start to this final game, sneaking 0-30 ahead against the Nadal serve but Rafa comes up with two huge first serves to level, both of which Berdych cannot return in play. Berdych earns himself another break point though with some fantastic play, wrong-footing Rafa with a forehand winner. A huge unreturnable saves it for Nadal, he also saves a second break point with another big serve and then also a third...
- - NADAL 6-4 6-5 - BREAK! Berdych saves a break point with a huge first serve that Nadal can only return into the net but he quickly hands Rafa a second chance with a forehand long of the baseline. And it goes horribly wrong for the Czech when he completely mis-hits a smash, having done all the hard work to get into that position, the ball not even clearing the net to hand Nadal the chance to serve out this match
- - NADAL 6-4 5-5 - Nadal races through a hold to 15, whipping another couple of forehand winners over in the process, to level up and fully get things back on serve. A big test coming up for Berdych now as he looks to get things back on track behind his serve
- - NADAL 6-4 4-5 - BREAK! Nadal bounces back in supreme fashion, battering a forehand winner across court off a mid-court ball before a forehand winner down the line off the baseline brings up three immediate break back points. The first goes begging when Rafa hits long but there is no such mistake on the second, Nadal firing his forehand return over the net for Berdych to hit long in reply. We are back on serve albeit with Nadal still serving to stay in this second set
- - NADAL 6-4 3-5 - BREAK! Nadal puts a tired looking backhand into the bottom of the net to hand Berdych a first break point of the match. It's nearly a straight double fault from Nadal but his second serve catches the top of the net and bounces just in. But his second chance at the second serve is also a poor one and there is no doubt this time that it's a double fault. Berdych has the break and the chance to serve for the second set.
- - NADAL 6-4 3-4 - Berdych holds for his most comfortable game in some time, securing the game with a body serve that Nadal has to back away from, sending his forehand down the line wide and long as a result
- - NADAL 6-4 3-3 - Nadal closes out comfortable service hold with a forehand passing shot winner down the line which leaves Berdych, covering the cross court shot, stranded
- - NADAL 6-4 2-3 - Nadal takes the second point of the game by one of his trademark and yet still outrageous running forehand winners down the line. And Berdych puts extra pressure on himself with a double fault. But the Czech holds without to 30 with an ace down the centre of the court
- - NADAL 6-4 2-2 - Nadal, after that time violation at the end of the first set, is clearly rushing himself between points to adhere to the 25 second rule. But he comes up with a great second serve to sneak out to 40-30 and then goes on to hold once again with another unreturnable serve
- - NADAL 6-4 1-2 - Berdych comes through a tougher hold once agian, being pushed to deuce before Nadal sends a looped forehand whistling long of the baseline to concede the game
- - NADAL 6-4 1-1 - Berdych finally wins a longer rally when he makes a foray into the net and produces a sublime pick-up off his shoe-laces to find a wrong-footing inside-out forehand winner across court. But Nadal responds with an unreturnable serve and an ace followed by another unreturnable serve to hold. Boom!
- - NADAL 6-4 0-1 - Nadal just marginally pulls his cross court forehand passing shot wide to hand Berdych the first point of the set and the Czech goes on to hold to get his side of the scoreboard ticking over once again
- - NADAL 6-4 - SET! Nadal lets out a huge yell after threading a backhand passing shot just below Berdych's racquet across court to level at 30-30 after being handed a time violation. And the world number five goes on to serve out with ease, sealing the set in 42 minutes with an ace.
- - NADAL 5-4 - Good game from Berdych to hold and force Nadal to serve out the set. Berdych found all bar one of his first serves in that game and it was much more comfortable as a result. He did not get caught up in baseline rallies and was able to keep the rallies short and therefore boss the points
- - NADAL 5-3 - Nadal drops the first point of the game but finds a whipped forehand winner to get off the mark before going on to earn himself two game points. He squanders the first with a forehand long down the line after backing away from the ball. And then he allows Berdych to level at deuce with an inside-out forehand wide across court. But Rafa recovers and holds without the loss of another point to leave Berdych serving to stay in this opening set
- - NADAL 4-3 - BREAK! Berdych sends a forehand into the bottom of the net when Nadal keeps him pinned to the baseline. It hands Nadal three break points. The first goes begging when Nadal sends a forehand just marginally long of the baseline and then also the second when Nadal loops a forehand long down the line. But Nadal does break at the third attempt when Berdych runs round the ball only to send his forehand wide down the line
- - NADAL 3-3 - Nadal wrong-foots Djokovic on the baseline, sending an inside-out forehand winner across court to bring up two game points, the second of which he takes advantage with with a huge first serve out wide followed by an even bigger forehand winner battered straight down the line
- - NADAL 2-3 - Better again from Berdych as he continues to settle into his service rhythm. This time he holds comfortably when Nadal sends a forehand return into the net
- - NADAL 2-2 - Nadal eases through a second service hold for the loss of just the one point. He is bossing the rallies from the baseline with consummate ease
- - NADAL 1-2 - Berdych looks to be cruising towards a love service hold only for Nadal to throw everything at him with a couple of brilliant points - the first ending when Berdych hits a forehand down the line wide and the second after a smash winner from Rafa. But Berdych recovers just in time and holds to 30 with a much better first serve
- - NADAL 1-1 - Nadal holds to 15 when Berdych sends a forehand sailing well long of the baseline. Berdych had a quick chat with the umpire before the final point of the game about something down the opposite end of the court that was distracting him - not entirely sure what it is but the umpire seemed to be saying he didn't think there was much he could do
- - NADAL 0-1 - Berdych fires down an ace in the middle of the game but he gets into a couple of baseline exchanges with Nadal, both of which see him come out second best. The Czech number one does manage to hold though, from deuce, when Rafa puts an off-balance forehand into the bottom of the net
- - It will be Berdych to get the clash underway by serving first ...
- - Berdych, however, is also in pretty good form - having saved three match points on his way to victory against Roger Federer in Dubai just a couple of weeks ago. He lost in the final to Novak Djokovic in the end but it was a great win nonetheless
- - And the stats get worse for Berdych as he has managed just three wins in 15 previous meetings. Even worse than that, those three meetings came in 2005 (at the Cincinnati Masters) and 2006 (at the Toronto Masters and the Madrid Masters).
- - Nadal has only been beaten once since his return from that knee injury, winning titles in Sao Paolo and Acapulco, while being beaten in the final of Vina del Mar. And he dismantled an admittedly ailing Roger Federer in the semi-finals. That is a pretty impressive return by anyone's standards
- - Hello and welcome to the first of the Indian Wells semi-finals between world number five Rafael Nadal and world number six Tomas Berdych
|Date of Birth||17/09/1985|
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|