No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
15:12 - That completes the women's semi-final line-up as Sharapova goes through to face Victoria Azarenka. So, it's Serena v Errani and Azarenka v Sharapova.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 6-4 6-3 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Sharapova completes her comeback from a bagel first set to book her place in the semi-finals. The Russian showed all her battling spirit in that clash and comes through it at the first attempt when Jankovic goes long with a forehand.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 6-4 5-3 - An absolutely huge forehand drive volley winner across court denies Jankovic on a break back point before the Russian earns herself a game point when Jankovic goes long with a forehand down the line. The chance goes begging when Sharapova herself sends a forehand long but she gets a second game point and this time she does hold with a backhand drive volley winner down the line. Jankovic will have to serve to stay in it.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 6-4 4-3 - BREAK! Again Jankovic goes to the forehand and again she is made to pay for it as Sharapova rattles a forehand passing shot winner down the line to bring up two break points. She only needs the one though and the defending champion breaks with a blistering return of serve. She is potentially just two games away from the semi-finals now.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 6-4 3-3 - Sharapova earns herself two game points with a blistering forehand winner down the line after running around the ball. She holds at the first time of asking though with a change-of-direction forehand winner down the line. Still nothing between these two players mid-way through this final set.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 6-4 2-3 - Sharapova pegs Jankovic back from 40-15 with a backhand drive volley that Jankovic can only return wide and then a blistering backhand return of serve winner across court that only just clears the net. But Jankovic recovers to hold and sneak out in front once again in this final set.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 6-4 2-2 - Jankovic is not having much success on the drop shot so far and yet she is persisting with the tactic, Sharapova easily getting up to the latest, slicing her own backhand drop shot back and then sending a cross court backhand drive volley across court winner over to seal the hold.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 6-4 1-2 - Jankovic holds much more easily this time around, firing down a huge serve that Sharapova cannot return in court to seal the game.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 6-4 1-1 - Sharapova holds to love with a forehand winner down the line whistling past a fully stretched Jankovic.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 6-4 0-1 - A great battling hold from Jankovic, the Serb finding a backhand winner to seal it with Sharapova loiteing at 30.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 6-4 - SET! Much better service game this time around from Sharapova as she opens with a huge first serve across court that Jankovic can only net in return. And she finishes in exactly the same way, albeit on the opposite side of the court, serving out the set to love with a big serve out wide that Jankovic returns into the net.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 5-4 - A sensational backhand drop shot from Sharapova that Jankovic cannot get anywhere near, followed by a backhand return of serve winner across court, sees the Russian level at 30-30. But a forehand winner nailed down the line from Jankovic brings up hold point, which she takes when Sharapova goes wide with a backhand across court. Sharapova will have one more chance to serve out this second set.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 5-3 - BREAK! Yet another shift in momentum as Jankovic earns herself two break back points with a fantastic forehand winner. She only needs the one, Sharapova going for just too much on a forehand down the line and hitting long. Jankovic will still have to serve to stay in this second set thoguh.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 5-2 - Jankovic squanders a first game point with a double fault but seals it at the second time of asking with a serve right into the body of Sharapova, the Russian unable to get her return back in play. A more solid game from Jankovic but Sharapova will serve for the second set after the change of ends.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 5-1 - Jankovic denies Sharapova on a first game point with a cross court bakhand right on to the ouside of the line and then also on a second with another backhand winner, this time off the return of serve. But Sharpova holds at the third time of asking with a backhand winner of her own. Jankovic will have to serve to stay in this second set, next.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 4-1 - BREAK! Jankovic gets a nasty bounce on the baseline and Sharapova puts a forehand right onto the back of the line to bring up another couple of break points. And one is all she needs as Jankovic goes long with a forehand. Sharapova has the double break now and has completely turned this match around.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 3-1 - A forehand winner right on to the line from Sharapova brings up three game points before she holds to love with an easy move up to Jankovic's drop shot followed by great movement to get across and tap a high backhand overhead down the line for a winner.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 2-1 - Sharapova nets a forehand to hand Jankovic a game point from 30-30, it's getting tougher for the Serb now as Sharapova finds a way to force herself back into this match. But Jankovic does hold, when Sharapova goes for a storming backhand return of serve winner, only to send the ball sailing long of the baseline.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 2-0 - Much better from Sharapova as she is starting to find her rhythm much more. She produces a forehand drive volley winner and a regular forehand winner from the baseline on her way to a hold to 15 that consolidates the early break in this second set.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 1-0 - BREAK! Sharapova gets away with a poor first volley right back to Jankovic when the Serb gives her a second chance on which she drills a backhand drive volley across court, Jankovic only able to to return wide. Sharapova levels at deuce with a blistering forehand winner down the line before Jankovic hands her a break point with a forehand long. And a double fault hands Sharapova the early break in this second set. Is this the start of something for the defending champion?
- - SHARAPOVA 0-6 - SET! Umpire Louise Engzell had a chat with Sharapova during the change of ends, about speeding up between points. She finally comes up with a great backhand winner off a drop shot from Jankovic to get off the mark at 0-30 but a netted backhand from the Russian hands Jankovic two set points. She saves the first when Jankovic nets a forehand but a cross court forehand just marginally wide from Sharapova on the second seals a LOVE OPENING SET for Jankovic.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-5 - Nothing is going Sharapova's way as she races up to a drop shot from Jankovic, firing over a forehand with pretty much the whole court to aim at. But the ball catches the top of the tape and such is the power she hit that with that the ball bounces up and is carried just long by the net cord. Jankovic holds to 15 and Sharapova will have to serve to stay in this opening set after the change of ends.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-4 - BREAK! Jankovic easily gets out wide to a cross court forehand only to put her change-of-direction forehand into the net as she slides into the full splits. That would have brought up three more break points but instead she has to be content with two after the next point. Sharapova saves the first with a great forehand sliced drop shot off a drop shot from JJ. But a double fault on the second and Jankovic does have the double break.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-3 - Sharapova has a second serve to look at at 30-30 but her cross court forehand response catches the top of the net and sits up neatly for Jankovic, who is able to put her forehand down the line for a winner and a game point. She only needs the one game point, a huge serve out wide doing the damage and securing the consolidating hold.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-2 - BREAK! Jankovic earns herself an early break point with some great hitting, and sure enough she grabs it at the first attempt when Sharapova nets an off-balance forehand. Fantastic start from the Serb.
- - SHARAPOVA 0-1 - A decent start from Jankovic as she cruises out to a 40-15 lead before Sharapova pegs her back to deuce with a blistering forehand return of serve winner. Jankovic squanders a number of game points with errors before eventually being able to hold at her fifth attempt when Sharapova nets a forehand.
13:12 - The players are just about ready to go and it will be Jankovic to get the clash underway after winning the toss and electing to serve first...
13:11 - Jankovic, meanwhile, has only dropped the one set to Sam Stosur in the third round. Apart from that she has beaten Daniela Hantuchova, Garbine Muguruza and Jamie Hampton all in straight sets.
13:10 - Sharapova is yet to drop a set in this tournament, racking up wins over Hsieh Su-Wei, Eugenie Bouchard, Zheng Jie and Sloane Stephens to reach this stage.
12:57 - Two of Sharapova's victories came when Jankovic was forced to retire from the match. But in their last meeting, in the Miami semi-finals just a couple of months ago, Sharapova triumphed very comprehensively 6-2 6-1.
12:56 - Jankovic's only win over the Russian came way back in 2007 on the grass in Birmingham when she needed to come back from a set down to secure the victory.
12:56 - These two have faced each other eight times before with Sharapova leading the head-to-heads overwhelmingly by seven wins to one.
12:53 - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from the final women's semi-final between defending champion Maria Sharapova and Serbian's 18th seed Jelena Jankovic.
|Date of Birth||28/02/1985|
|Date of Birth||19/04/1987|