No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - World number three Victoria Azarenka is through to the semi-finals where she will face the winner between Maria Sharapova and Jelena Jankovic.
- - AZARENKA 7-6(3) 6-2 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Azarenka quickly finds herself in possession of two match points. But she only needs the one, booking her place in the last four of the French Open when Kirilenko goes long with a forehand down the line.
- - AZARENKA 7-6(3) 5-2 - Azarenka comes through a very tough service hold to leave Kirilenko serving to stay in this match. The Russian levels at deuce with a brutal forehand return of serve across court. But Azarenka recovers to hold without the loss of another point when Kirilenko nets a forehand return.
- - AZARENKA 7-6(3) 4-2 - Much better from Kirilenko as she holds to love to kepe the deficit down to just the one break. She is not out of this match just yet - she broke the Azarenka serve three times in the first set, remember.
- - AZARENKA 7-6(3) 4-1 - Three successive returns of serve go wide from Kirilenko as Azarenka cruises to a love service hold that consolidates the break. A big game coming up for Kirilenko after the change of ends.
- - AZARENKA 7-6(3) 3-1 - BREAK! Azarenka is beginning to pull away in this match now as she breaks with a forehand winner to leave herself potentially just three games away from a place in her first French Open semi-finals.
- - AZARENKA 7-6(3) 2-1 - Kirilenko again pushes Azarenka to 30 before the Belarusian is able to hold with a big serve and forehand that Kirilenko cannot cope with.
- - AZARENKA 7-6(3) 1-1 - Great from Kirilenko as she refuses to let that disappointing tie-break get to her and holds to love, finding not one but two acutely angled backhand winners across court on her way to securing the game.
- - AZARENKA 7-6(3) 1-0 - Azarenka holds for the opening game of the second set, albeit not without a little frustration as she nets a forehand and gives herself a good talking to.
- - AZARENKA 7-6(3) - SET! Azarenka only needs one set point behind her own serve as she rattles a backhand winner across court to seal a very tough opening set.
- - AZARENKA 6-6 (6-3) - TIE-BREAK! Kirilenko saves a first set point with an inside out forehand volley winner across court and then also a second when Azarenka sends a forehand long of the baseline. The next two set points will be on Azarenka's serve though.
- - AZARENKA 6-6 (5-1) - TIE-BREAK! Azarenka sneaks a mini-break ahead with a series of brutal forehands, eventually wearing down the defence of Kirilenko and finding the forehand winner down the line. The Belarussian sneaks further ahead when Kirilenko slaps down a double fault and then also slaps a forehand long to leave Azarenka leading 5-1 at the change of ends.
- - AZARENKA 6-6 - BREAK! Kirilenko breaks back for the loss of just the one point, nailing a forehand winner down the line after running round the ball to get things back on track and force the tie-break to seal this opening set.
- - AZARENKA 6-5 - BREAK! Azarenka earns herself two break points with a forehand winner down the line, her 15th winner of the afternoon. She only needs the one chance though, breaking at the first attempt when Kirilenko's backhand volley cannot find the court. Azarenka will serve for the openign set after the change of ends.
- - AZARENKA 5-5 - A beautifully crafted point from Kirilenko denies Azarenka on game point, the Russian pushing Azarenka wide with a cross court backhand before a sending a forehand across court in the opposite direction. But the Belarusian earns herself a second chance and this time she does hold when Kirilenko nets a forehand.
- - AZARENKA 4-5 - Azarenka makes a move with a brutal backhand return of serve winner down the line to go 0-30 up against the Kirilenko serve. The Russian bounces back with three straight points before Azarenka gets a little lucky with the net cord, prompting a Kirilenko backhand wide across court. Deuce. Kirilenko is forced to save two break points with huge serves and also saves a third with a forehand down the line. And Kirilenko holds. Azarenka will serve to stay in this set after the change.
- - AZARENKA 4-4 - A great display of concentration from Azarenka as she ignores the medical timeout and holds to level up once again, a big first serve allowing a fairly easy albeit blisteringly paced backhand winner down the line.
13:51 - Maria Kirilenko is taking an injury timeout for treatment to her back during the change of ends.
- - AZARENKA 3-4 - Kirilenko brings up three game points with a cross court backhand that Azarenka can only return wide and although she squanders the first with a forehand volley into the net, she does hold to 15 with a beautifully angled backhand winner across court.
- - AZARENKA 3-3 - Azarenka also posts a service hold to 15, working her way up to the net behind a vicious cross court forehand approach shot and firing a forehand volley into the opening court to seal the game.
- - AZARENKA 2-3 - Kirilenko is the first to break out from the cycle of broken service games as she holds to 15 with a forehand winner down the line. The Russian sneaks ahead in this opening set for the first time.
- - AZARENKA 2-2 - BREAK! Really poor on serve from Azarenka as she struggles to get the ball in, Kirilenko leaping all over the second serve and breaking back to love with very little trouble at all. Back on serve once again.
- - AZARENKA 2-1 - BREAK! A forehand long from Azarenka squanders another break point but she re-establishes the double break at the second time of asking a series of increasingly angled backhands eventually drawing the forehand down the line error from Kirilenko.
- - AZARENKA 1-1 - BREAK! The Belarusian goes long with a forehand to hand Kirilenko two immediate break back points. And it's a blistering forehand return of serve winner, right on to the baseline down the centre of the court, that seals the break back for the Russian. Back on serve in this second set.
- - AZARENKA 1-0 - BREAK! Kirilenko levels at 30-30 with a sensational running forehand passing shot winner angled across court. She goes long with a forehand though to hand Azarenka an early break point. The Russian saves it with a great serve that Azarenka can only net in return. And she also saves a second with a great serve out wide before squandering a game point with a backhand wide. Azarenka gets a third chance and this time she does break with a forehand winner off a shorter ball.
13:15 - The players are just about ready to go and it will be Kirilenko to get things underway after she won the toss and elected to serve ...
13:14 - Kirilenko has ha a similarly easy run through the draw, not dropping a set as she cruised past Nina Bratchikova, Ashleigh Barty, Stefanie Voegele and Bethanie Mattek-Sands.
13:13 - Azarenka has dropped just the one set so far, to Alize Cornet in the third round. Apart from that she has come past Elena Vesnina, Annika Beck and Francesca Schiavone all in straight sets.
12:59 - The bad news for Kirilenko is that her two wins came in their first two meetings, in Auckland in 2006 and then in Stanford a year later. Since then Azarenka has won three times in succession, most recently at the Olympics last August.
12:58 - These tao have met each other five times before with Azarenka only narrowly leading the head-to-heads by three wins to two.
12:55 - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from the third women's semi-final between world number three Victoria Azarenka and Russian 12th seed Maria Kirilenko.
|Date of Birth||25/01/1987|
|Date of Birth||31/07/1989|