|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So, the fifth seed is out and it is unseeded Frenchman Gael Monfils who is through to the second round to face unseeded Latvian Ernests Gulbis.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 5-7 - GAME, SET & MATCH! A rather tired move from Berdych out to a low backhand results in the ball only just reaching the net. It brings up two match points for Monfils, but only one is neeeded as Berdych goes long with forehand!
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 5-6 - BREAK! Monfils riffles a forehand passing shot winner down the line to bring up two break points. And break he does with another agressive forehand, this time across court, which Berdych can only net in response. Monfils will serve for the match.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 5-5 - Monfils holds for the loss of just the one point with a forehand winner to level up once again. Berdych will have to start again to get ahead.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 5-4 - Berdych has a chance to seal a love service hold but puts his inside-out forehand just wide across court to hand Monfils a point. But that's the only point he allows the Frenchman as he holds immediately after with a big forehand across court that Monfils can only net. Monfils will have to serve to stay in the match after the change of ends.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 4-4 - Monfils is still there, sticking with Berdych with another hold - a backhand winner down the line sealing this game.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 4-3 - Berdych does well to withstand the disappiontment of not breaking in the previous game, and also to withstand the inceasingly vociferous crowd as Monfils does his best to whip them up. The Czech holds to sneak ahead again.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 3-3 - Three break points come and go for Berdych, the latter a real opportunity as he sends a forehand long down the line. And a missed passing shot from the Czech hands Monfils the hold.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 3-2 - Berdych has to battle through another tough service hold, albeit this time not facing break points before hodling to retain his lead, albeit it only serve
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 2-2 - Monfils eases through a quick service hold to keep the pressure on Berdych. The Frenchman is looking re-energised once again now and it is Berdych who appears to be flagging.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 2-1 - Great anticipation from Monfils helps him find the passing shot and bring up two early break points in this fifth set. The first goes begging when Berdych catches the absolute outside of the line. And the second also goes begging when Berdych gets away with a slip and finds a cross court backhand winner. The Frenchman gets a third chance but sends a forehand long before Berdych holds with a forehand volley winner.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 1-1 - Monfils also opens the final set with a hold, doing well to recover from dropping his second consecutive set on a tie-break.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 1-0 - Berdych holds to 30 for the opening game of the final set, Monfils going for the huge forehand down the line only to push the ball wide.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 7-6(4) - SET! Berdych only needs the one chance to level up this match as he finds another forehand winner to seal the fourth set and force the decider.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 6-6 (5-4) - TIE-BREAK! Monfils levels after the change of ends before Berdych sneaks ahead with a forehand winner off a really short defensive forehand from the Frenchman. And that quickly becomes two set points for Berdych after another forehand winner, this time down the line after he's run round the ball...
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 6-6 (4-2) - TIE-BREAK! Berdych quickly goes 3-0 up before aces number 22 and 23 from Monfils see him start to peg him back. But backhand passing shot attempt from the Frenchman goes wide down the line and Berdych retains his mini-break lead at the change of ends.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 6-6 - It will be a third breaker in the match as Berdych just holds on to force it. The Czech made it much harder for himself that it needed to be but eventually he managed to hold on with a great bit of skill up at the net, putting a forehand volley over for a winner after a great get by Monfils out on the forehand wing.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 5-6 - The crowd is really trying to will Monfils on as he skulks around the baseline looking exhausted between points. But he holds to 15 to go ahead once more. He's done his bit to push this set to a tie-break and Berdych will have to serve to stay in the match for a second time.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 5-5 - Berdych has little trouble in holding, for the loss of just the one point, and levelling up with a forehand winner.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 4-5 - Monfils produces three aces in the game to hold to 15 and leave himself potentially just one game away from this match. Berdych will have to serve to stay in it after the change of ends.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 4-4 - Berdych holds ocne again to keep all the pressure on Monfils, the Frenchman definitely looks to be running out of steam, a couple of points in that game leaving him doubled over and breathing heavily.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 3-4 - Monfils survives another shockingly bad drop shot, losing the point but still managing to hold, just about, when Berdych sends a forehand long.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 3-3 - Berdych holds once again to level up as Monfils gets increasingly upset with himself. The Frenchman could be set for a spectacular meltdown if he carries on like this.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 2-3 - Berdych posts another comfortable service hold but it is quickly matched by another hold from Monfils, who sneaks ahead once again in this fourth set.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 1-2 - Monfils holds to 30 with his 19th ace of the match, this one a bullet right down the centre of the court.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 1-1 - It took Berdych a set and a half to find his first ace but he finding them with more frequency now as throws in his seventh on the way to an opening hold in thi fourth set
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) 0-1 - Monfils recovers from dropping that third set with a solid hold to open the fourth. The Frenchman has only ever lost one match from two sets to love up - but that did come at the French Open, against Fabio Fognini in the second round in 2010.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 7-6(3) - SET! Berdych only needs the one chance to extend this match to a fourth set, Monfils going long with a regulation forehand!
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 6-6 (6-3) - TIE-BREAK! Berdych lands a forehand right on the baseline, the ball skidding through and completely confounding Monfils. It also brings up three set points for the fifth seed...
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 6-6 (4-2) - TIE-BREAK! Berdych races out to a 3-1 lead before a forehand wide down the line gives Monfils hope of pegging him back. The Czech re-establishes his mini-break lead just before the change of ends with an inside-out forehand winner across court.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 6-6 - Another love service game for Monfils, he's won his last three service games to love, and this set (and possibly the match) will be decided by a tie-break.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 6-5 - Berdych goes wide across court to squander a first game point but he holds without the loss of any further points with an ace, his second of the game. Monfils will have to serve to stay in the third time.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 5-5 - Monfils holds to love once again to get this set fully back on track. All the pressure is back on Berdych now as he serves in a bid to at least force the tie-break.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 5-4 - BREAK! Berdych quickly finds himself triple break point down. He saves the first with a backhand across court that just catches the very outside of the line but he does hand Monfils the break back with a backhand wide across court. Back on serve in this third set, albeit with Monfils still needing to hold to stay in the set.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 5-3 - Monfils holds to love to force Berdych to serve out this third set
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 5-2 - Berdych eases through another hold to love that leaves Monfils serving to stay in the set after the change of ends.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 4-2 - Monfils comes through another tough service hold, eeking out a hold from deuce, with a forehand winner down the line (after running round the ball) and then an service winner.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 4-1 - Berdych makes a trip into the net to seal a hold to love with a forehand volley winner and comfortably retain his break cushion.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 3-1 - Better from Monfils on serve as he stops the run of three straight games against him and holds to get his third set account underway.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 3-0 - Berdych consolidates the break to 15, Monfils's only point in the game coming when the Czech puts an attempted backhand down the line into the net, off-balance and on the stretch.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 2-0 - BREAK! A great drop shot from Monfils that just dies away on contact with the ground helps him on his way to a game point, although he wastes the chance with a regulation forehand long of the baseline. And, almost out of nowhere, Berdych finds himself in possession of a break point. He quickly turns it into a break, a length forehand proving too much for Monfils who puts his reply into the very bottom of the net.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 1-0 - Berdych survives a tense opening game when he is forced to come back from 15-30 down to hold with a forehand winner and get his third set off to a positive start.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-6 - SET! Ace number 11 helps Monfils on his way to triple set point. He wastes the first with a shockingly poor drop shot which sits right up for Berdych and allows the Czech an easy backhand winner down the line. But the Frenchman does wrap up the set at the second attempt with his 12th ace, this one right down the centre of the court.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 4-5 - A big serve out wide followed by a change-of-direction forehand down the line from Berdych looks to be a good tactic, only for the Czech to put his forehand long and allow Monfils to level at deuce. But a second ace from the fifth seed followed by a forehand return long sees him hold and Monfils will have to serve it out after the change of ends.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 3-5 - Monfils races up to the net and produces a backhand volley (although he's not exactly happy about it after failing to put his forehand volley away) and his way to a another love service hold. He is yet to drop a single point on serve in this set! Berdych will have to serve to stay in it next
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 3-4 - A forehand pulled just long of the corner across court from Berdych allows Monfils to level at 30-30 before the Frenchman earns himself another break point. But a first ace from Berdych at just the right time saves it and from there he goes on to hold with a cross court forehand that Monfils can only net in reply.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 2-4 - Monfils finds his 10th ace on his way to a fifth love service game of the match as he edges towards taking this second set.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 2-3 - Monfils and Berdych trade service holds, the Frenchman consolidating his break before the Czech ensures the deficit remains just the one break.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 1-2 - BREAK! Berdych just misses a cross court backhand, the umpire coming down from the chair to check the mark at Monfils' behest and confirming that the Frenchman was correct. It brings up three break points for Monfils, but he only needs the one (Berdych going long) and the first break goes to the Frenchman.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 1-1 - Monfils also eases through his opening service game of the second set, as he consolidates that solid opener.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) 1-0 - Normal service is resumed at the start of this second set with Berdych holding without any trouble to get his side of the scoreboard ticking over again. In that first set, Monfils hits seven aces to Berdych's none but the Czech looked just as potent on serve as his French counter-part.
- - BERDYCH 6-7(8) - SET! Monfils finally secures the opening set of the match, Berdych going wide with an inside-out forehand attempt across court.
- - BERDYCH 6-6 (8-9) - TIE-BREAK! This time Monfils squanders it with a forehand into the net but he fashions himself a fifth chance quickly afterwards when Berdych again fails to find the court with a routine forehand...
- - BERDYCH 6-6 (7-8) - TIE-BREAK! A tame forehand pushed down the line from Monfils drops wide to let Berdych off the hook but the Czech goes long, just long, with a backhand down the centre of the court and Monfils will have a fourth chance to wrap up the set...
- - BERDYCH 6-6 (6-7) - TIE-BREAK! The first set point goes begging for the Frenchman when Berdych gets incredibly lucky with a net cord creating the perfect drop shot. And the second is also saved by the Czech as he produces a forehand across court with a cracking pace that Monfils cannot quite get to. Monfils will have a third chance though after Berdych dumps a regulation forehand into the net...
- - BERDYCH 6-6 (4-6) - TIE-BREAK! Berdych levels up at 4-4 after the change of ends but back-to-back missed forehands from the Czech hand Monfils two set points...
- - BERDYCH 6-6 (2-4) - TIE-BREAK! Berdych sends a forehand long before Monfils produces a blistering backhand return of serve winner down the line and right into the corner of the court to race out to a 3-0 lead in the breaker. A couple of errors from the Frenchman, however, let Berdych right back into it at 2-3 before Monfils finds a forehand winner to sneak a mini-break lead at the change of ends.
- - BERDYCH 6-6 - A second love service hold from Berdych does sent this set into a tie-break. Still not a single break point has been enjoyed by either player.
- - BERDYCH 5-6 - Monfils holds once again when Berdych puts his forehand just marginally long down the centre of the court. The Frenchman has ensured that this set will end, at worst, in a tie-break. But first, Berdych will have to serve to stay in it for a second time.
- - BERDYCH 5-5 - Monfils leans on the Berdych serve and makes things really tricky for the Czech. But Berdych just about prevents Monfils from fashioning a set point chance and the fifth seed levels once again. Not a single break point so far in this match.
- - BERDYCH 4-5 - Monfils drills a forehand winner down the line to hold to love and leave Berdych serving to stay in this opening set after the change of ends.
- - BERDYCH 4-4 - Another very speedy service hold from Berdych sees him level up and put pressure back on the Monfils serve. A big game coming up for the Frenchman next.
- - BERDYCH 3-4 - Berdych punishes Monfils for a shorter second serve, battering the ball down the line for a winner that sees him level at deuce. But Monfils quickly shuts down any hope Berdych had of snatching a break and instead holds
- - BERDYCH 3-3 - Berdych finds himself 0-30 down before a foray into the net and a forehand volley winner helps him level up at 30-30. And from there the Czech fifth seed quickly holds with a couple of huge serves.
- - BERDYCH 2-3 - Another quick and easy service hold for Monfils. The Frenchman has had a pretty tough year so far but with a final performance in Nice last week (losing to Albert Montanes) and a positive start to today's clash, he looks to be turning things around.
- - BERDYCH 2-2 - Berdych races through another service hold without too much trouble, leveling up at 2-2 after Monfils had flung his racquet at a forehand on the baseline in a desperate attempt to get to the ball.
- - BERDYCH 1-2 - Monfils lands an off-forehand right onto the sideline, Berdych sending his return just long of the baseline to help the Frenchman hold to 15.
- - BERDYCH 1-1 - Both players hold for their opening service games, albeit with Monfils struggling a little more than Berdych to find his rhythm.
|Date of Birth||17/09/1985|
|Date of Birth||01/09/1986|