No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Not only do the crowd stand to applaud Goffin off the court, Djokovic also applauds his opponent who put in an impressive performance. Djokovic was just a step too good, however, and is through to the second round where he will face either Ivan Dodig or Guido Pella, who are currently 10-11 in an epic fifth set out on Court 5.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 7-5 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Goffin is left with his head in his hands after putting a smash into the net, having done all the hard work in the point. Instead Djokovic has the point and quickly turns it into a match point with a forehand winner. The world number one does go through in straight sets, racing up to the net and easily firing a forehand winner across court.
- DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 6-5 - BREAK! Goffin finds himself three break points down after what he thinks was a bad bounce on a Djokovic forehand. The Serb is unable to take advantage of the first, hitting long with a forehand, but he does break at the second attempt with a cross court backhand that Goffin can only net in response. Djokovic will serve for the match next.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 5-5 - Djokovic has rediscovered his serve and races through a love service hold to level up and ask Goffin to once again to hold to take the lead.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 4-5 - Just like against Federer last year, Goffin is doing himself justice as he holds to leave Djokovic serving to stay in the set, the Serb backing away from the ball slightly (a forehand from Goffin) to help the Belgian hold.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 4-4 - Another solid service hold from Djokovic puts all the pressure on the Goffin serve in the next game. Can he withstand the extra pressure the Serb will certainly apply? Djokovic will want to break now and then serve it out.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 3-4 - This is still a very competitive match as Goffin holds once again to sneak ahead - Djokovic looking stunned and not a little put out when his forehand down the line goes wide.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 3-3 - Goffin is unable to take advantage of another break point when Djokovic finally produces a first serve in the game, and he goes on to hold after another couple of huge first serves
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 2-3 - Goffin nudges ahead again in this third set when his backhand down the line goes for a winner off a backhand volley that Djokovic could really have done better with.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 2-2 - Goffin is waiting for the Djokovic serve out wide and rattles a backhand return down the line for a winner to level at deuce. But he goes for the same shot on the next serve, also out wide from the Serb, only to hit long before also hitting long on the next point to help Djokovic hold from deuce.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 1-2 - Another great hold from Goffin from 15-40 down, the Belgian saving them both with some serious hitting before going on to hold with a forehand winner down the line off a drop shot from Djokovic.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 1-1 - Djokovic holds for the loss of just the one point with an unreturnable serve to get his third set account underway.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 0-1 - Goffin has never come back from two sets to love down but he holds for the opening game of the third set when Djokovic nets a backhand approach shot.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 6-4 - SET! It was far from nerveless in that game from Djokovic as Goffin denied him a first set point with a forehand winner down the line after the world number one's cross court forehand had sat up. But a forehand winner down the line from Djokovic (after he had run around the ball) sees the top seed seal the second set.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 5-4 - Another service hold apeice and it will be Djokovic to serve for this second set next.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 4-3 - Immense hitting from Goffin as he holds to 30 with a huge forehand down the line that Djokovic cannot return in play despite getting a racquet to it.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 4-2 - Djokovic pushes Goffin right back on to the baseline with a lob that is just good enough to prevent the Belgian from playing the smash. He then draws Goffin up to the net with a drop shot, to which the Belgian responds with an angled drop shot of his own. But Djokovic is equal to it and sends the ball back where it came from on an even more acute angle for the winner that seals the hold.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 3-2 - Goffin pushes Djokovic well wide on the forehand wing and draws the error, an over-stretched forehand into the net to hold comfortably and keep the deficit down to just the one break.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 3-1 - Djokovic makes things really tricky for the Belgian on the backhand wing, drawing the error from Goffin and holding to consolidate the break early in this second set. Djokovic is looking increasingly comfortable now after that close opening set.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 2-1 - BREAK! A vicious forehand approach shot from Djokovic earns him two more break points as Goffin can only hit the ball wide. And this time the world number one does break when Goffin goes just long down the line with a forehand after running round the ball.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 1-1 - A love game from Djokovic as he holds with an ace to put all the pressure back on the Goffin serve.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) 0-1 - Goffin fails to take advantage of a game point, doing all the hard-work only to put his backhand volley into the net. But Djokovic also squanders a game point with a forehand long across court and the Belgain holds with a great first serve that Djokovic can only net.
- - DJOKOVIC 7-6(5) - SET! Only the one set point is needed for the world number oen as Goffin lines up a backhand down the line only to put the ball into the net. There's a big shout of "come on" from Djokovic as that ball hits the net, he was fully aware how important that set was to Goffin.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-6 (5-6) - TIE-BREAK! Djokovic is left flailing and netting a forehand as a result after a cross court forehand from Goffin. But a double fault from the Belgian on the next point hands the world number one a first set point.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-6 (3-3) - TIE-BREAK! A fantastic backhand winner down the line from Goffin sees him level up at 2-2 before he also matches a Djokovic ace with a cross court forehand winner. Still nothing to chose between the two players at the change of ends.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-6 - A forehand winner down the centre of the court from Goffin seals another game comfortably in favour of the server (just the one break point so far in this match) and this set will be decided by a tie-break.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-5 - Djokovic races through another service hold without trouble, Goffin going long with a forehand down the line. The Belgian will have to serve to stay in this opening set for a second time after the change of ends. This is a fast moving match though with 11 games in just 37 minutes.
- - DJOKOVIC 5-5 - Goffin is helped a little by the net as his backhand catches the top of the tape, just taking enough pace off the ball to help deny Djokovic and instead secure the hold. But the Belgian had put himself in that position comfortably.
- - DJOKOVIC 5-4 - Goffin again puts some pressure on the Djokovci serve at 30-30 but the Serb refuses to look ruffled, slicing a backhand drop shot over the net for a winner before sauntering back to his chair. Goffin will have to serve to stay in the set after the change of ends.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-4 - An absolutely sensational backhand drop shot, with a huge amount of side spin, beats Djokovic for pace and hands the Belgian a game point. And a perfectly timed slide into the forehand down the line gives Goffin enough pace that Djokovic can only net his reply. Another very confident hold from Goffin.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-3- Goffin sends a forehand just marginally long down the centre of the court to miss the opportunity to earn himself a break point. Instead it hands Djokovic a game point, one he takes full advantage of with an inside-out forehand winner across court.
- - DJOKOVIC 3-3 - Djokovic has almost imperceptibly lifted his level in the last couple of points and earns himself a break chance. But Goffin saves it with a trip into the net and a forehand volley winner. And he goes on to hold with a big serve. Great show of nerve from Goffin in his first real test of the match.
- - DJOKOVIC 3-2 - Djokovic races through another hold, working his way up the court and riffling a forehand passing shot down the line for a winner.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-2 - Another solid hold of serve from Goffin from level up with Djokovic. He is going after the world number one so far, not in anyway looking overawed by the prospect of facing Djokovic on Court Philippe Chatrier.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-1 - An explosion of pace from Goffin on a running cross court forehand sees Djokovic only capable of putting his attempted change of direction forehand wide down the line. But the world number one holds for the loss of just that one point
- - DJOKOVIC 1-1 - Encouraging for Goffin as he holds comfortably to get his account underway with a forehand winner.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-0 - Djokovic holds for the loss of just the one point to get the clash underway, a forehand winner down the line after running around the ball.
- - Coming up next on Court Philippe Chatrier is world number one Novak Djokovic taking on Belgian David Goffin.
|Date of Birth||22/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||07/12/1990|