|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - GAME, SET & MATCH - SHARAPOVA 6-3 6-4 MATTEK-SANDS - It wouldn't have been a Sharapova service game without a double fault, but she still scrapes through past Bethanie Mattek-Sands. A relief more than anything.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 6-3 5-4 MATTEK-SANDS - MAttek-Sands will be absolutely kickingherself. She leads 30-0 and then 40-30, but two double faults in the same game gift Sharapova a break at the worst possible time. The Russian will now serve for the match.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-3 4-4 MATTEK-SANDS - Much, much better from Sharapova. The former Aussie Open champion obviously took a bit of time to collect her thoughts in the changeover and returns looking more like the woman from the first set.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-3 3-4 MATTEK-SANDS - The American leads for the first time since the opening game of this second set. Sharapova has disappeared, she's gone AWOL. The No. 3 seed is a different player to the one that won the first set at present.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 6-3 3-3 MATTEK-SANDS - Sharapova has struggled with her serve all night, and continues to do so. Again she fires down another double fault and when her first serve deserts her, Mattek-Sands takes advantage to break.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-3 3-2 MATTEK-SANDS - The American is sticking in their with her opponent. Her game plan hasn't changed a great deal - she's still going for big winners - but is seeing the ball well and is able to hold her serve with ease.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-3 3-1 MATTEK-SANDS - In what is the match's longest, most error-strewn game - from both women - Sharapova comes through and consolidates the break after handing Mattek-Sands three break points of her own.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 6-3 2-1 MATTEK-SANDS - Brutal, brutal tennis from Sharapova. She bullies Mattek-Sands from the serve, taking it early and forcing the American on to the back foot. Sharapova sees three break points come and go before finally taking the fourth with a piercing inside-out forehand.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-3 1-1 MATTEK-SANDS - A shaky service game for Sharapova, meanwhile. The world No. 3 racks up her sixth double fault of the match and is also given a time violation by the umpire. Despite that, she cruises to a hold.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-3 0-1 MATTEK-SANDS - A very positive opening service game at the start of this second set from Mattek-Sands. She takes it to the Russian, conceding just one point in the process.
- - SET - SHARAPOVA 6-3 MATTEK-SANDS - It wasn't a great set of tennis by an stretch of the imagination, but Sharapova won't mind - she's taken it 6-3. The Russian serves her way to two set points but only needs the one, dispatching a neat volley at the net.
- - SHARAPOVA 5-3 MATTEK-SANDS - The eccentric American comes through another service game relatively unscathed, asking Sharapova to serve out the set.
- - SHARAPOVA 5-2 MATTEK-SANDS - The American can be hugely frustrating to watch at times. Again, she carves out a couple of opportunities to break Sharapova, but continues to try and hit huge winners from the back of the court, allowing the Russian the chance to stay in the game. The world No. 2 eventually finds a winner, and Mattek-Sands will have to serve to stay in the set.
- - SHARAPOVA 4-2 MATTEK-SANDS - Finally, Mattek-Sands is able to hold her serve. It takes her four attempts this time out, mostly due to her continued game plan of just going after Sharapova whenever in the position to do so. She's just one break of serve behind now...
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 4-1 MATTEK-SANDS - Mattek-Sands looks up to her box and shrugs her shoulders, as if to say "what can I possibly do about this?" The American engineers a 0-30 lead, but Sharapova unleashes a flurry of brutal ground strokes to claw her way back to deuce. That's all the Russian is allowed, though, as Mattek-Sands buries two successive forehands to break back.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 4-0 MATTEK-SANDS - The American still can't get on the scoreboard. Wary of Sharapova's immense threat, Mattek-Sands is trying to force the issue. When she gets it right, it looks good and is effective, but, as the scoreline suggests, she's missing more than she's making.
- SHARAPOVA 3-0 MATTEK-SANDS - Mattek-Sands races to 0-30 on the Sharapova serve thanks to a huge forehand winner and a wonderful half-volley at the net. But the Russian comes storming back with a couple of bludgeoning forehands to consolidate the break.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 2-0 MATTEK-SANDS - The Russian is giving Mattek-Sands no time at all, and she is forced into three unforced errors on the way to losing her first service game of the match.
- - SHARAPOVA 1-0 MATTEK-SANDS - Sharapova struggles with her first serve during her opening game of the match, but her second serve is accurate and causes the 5' 8" Mattek-Sands a number of problems.
- - The two ladies have just appeared on court and are about to knock-up ahead of their tie. Not long until we're under way...
- - In the day's final match in the Rod Laver Arena, world No. 3 and former Australian Open champion Maria Sharapova takes on Bethanie Mattek-Sands.
|Date of Birth||23/03/1985|
|Date of Birth||19/04/1987|