No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - GAME, SET & MATCH! MURRAY 6-3 6-1 6-3 MATOSEVIC - The Scot does indeed shrug off that mini wobble to rack up three break/match points and he finishes with a flourish, fizzing a superb cross court shot beyond the reach of his opponent. It's a solid win for the seventh seed and he will now play Philipp Kohlschreiber in round three.
- - BREAK! MURRAY 6-3 6-1 5-3 MATOSEVIC - Where did that come from? The Scot suffers a late wobble at 0-30 and 30-40 before finally being undone by a sweet winner down the line by the Aussie. Are we set for a sudden twist? Or will Murray shrug it off and finally put this to bed?
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 5-2 MATOSEVIC - Fair play to the big Aussie, he's going down fighting. A rare moment of success on his service sees him hold and force Muzza to serve for the match.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 5-1 MATOSEVIC - Another rapid service game sees Murray move to the brink of victory. Matosevic will now serve to stay in it, but will surely just be delaying the inevitable. Murray prepares to receive and touches the hamstring that he appeared to strain slightly during the epic opener at the start of this set. Hopefully, it isn't anything that could affect him later in the competition.
- - BREAK! MURRAY 6-3 6-1 4-1 MATOSEVIC - It's all over bar the shouting as Murray lands another break, but you have to give some credit to Marinko. Many players would have folded by now, but he keeps battling for every point. His big problem is that he simply has no answer to what Andy keeps throwing at him. Almost every point on his serve has been a battle and this game proves no exception as he is forced to save another break point before being undone on the second one after deuce.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 3-1 MATOSEVIC - A sensational winner on the run that sears down the line gets Murray off to a flyer as he romps through another service game to 15. Matosevic works his way into what proves to be the final rally but then flaps a shot into the net. It has been an all-too familiar sight for the Aussie this afternoon.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 2-1 MATOSEVIC - It's deja vu for the big Aussie as he lets a 40-15 lead slip and allows Murray back in it at deuce. He's barely had any cheap points in this contest but finally comes good with an angled volley into the left corner to ensure he at least avoids the bagel.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-1 2-0 MATOSEVIC - The fat lady is beginning to warm up in the locker room here. After an epic first game, this one is over in a matter of minutes. Murray combines some dismissive winners with clever play at the net to easily consolidate his break and take a real stranglehold on this match.
- - BREAK! MURRAY 6-3 6-1 1-0 MATOSEVIC - Wow! That was some way to open the third set. The longest game of the match by some distance (16 minutes) eventually goes the way of Murray when he converts a fifth break point courtesy of a bizarre drop shot that went dreadfully wrong for the Aussie.
- - SET! MURRAY 6-3 6-1 MATOSEVIC - The Scot makes hard work of clinching the set after being pushed to deuce, but eventually comes up trumps with a second serve ace to move within shouting distance of the next round. It's a two-set lead and it's all a bit routine. Matosevic has a lot to do if he is to make a match of this now.
- - BREAK! MURRAY 6-3 5-1 MATOSEVIC - It's a double break for Murray who will now serve for the set. A stunning winner on the run gave him the platform to press for another break and he duly notched up two opportunities at 15-40. Matosevic saved both but immediately faced a third as the Scot leapt into the air to thunder a superb return-winner. The Aussie had worked wonders to keep his opponent at bay but could only fire low into the net in the next point to hand Murray a big advantage.
- - MURRAY 6-3 4-1 MATOSEVIC - Too good from Murray as he shrugs off the disappointment of missing out on a double break and produces a nigh on perfect service game. There's no respite for Matosevic and his hopes of applying some pressure on Muzza's serve evaporated within minutes there.
- - MURRAY 6-3 3-1 MATOSEVIC - A big, big hold for Matosevic. It might not be in terms of the final outcome but at 0-40 he looked all set to fall apart. However, the Aussie dug deep and took the next five points to turn the game on its head and get himself off the mark in this set.
- - MURRAY 6-3 3-0 MATOSEVIC - Muzza consolidates that break with some strong serving, including a fifth ace of the match, to take the game to 30. It's all going to plan for the seventh seed who is wearing away at his opponent, allowing the mistakes to creep more and more into his game.
- - BREAK! MURRAY 6-3 2-0 MATOSEVIC - A glaring miss at 30-30 offers Murray a break point but Matosevic rallies well to scorch a forehand deep to the baseline that the seventh seed finds too hot to handle. The Aussie then fights off another break point but can do little to deny the Scot when he makes the most of his third opportunity, slowly grinding down his opponent's resistance until he fires into the net on the stretch. Superb stuff from Murray who just kept turning the screw.
- - MURRAY 6-3 1-0 MATOSEVIC - There's a real sense of Murray just doing enough at the moment as he is once again forced to fight off a break point. An ace gets him out of trouble and he goes on to clinch the first game of the set when Matosevic can only fire a return way beyond the baseline.
- - SET! MURRAY 6-3 MATOSEVIC - A solid first set from Murray as he wraps it up in 39 minutes with only one real game of concern. A poorly executed drop shot by Matosevic at 30-30 is well read by the Scot and he makes no mistake with a driven forehand to tee up set point. The duo then fought out a real slog of a rally before the Aussie fired long to suffer a second break and concede the set.
- - MURRAY 5-3 MATOSEVIC - A big moment in the set and quite possibly the match for the seventh seed. He loses a nice exchange at the net in the first point of the game and then implodes to offer up three break points to the Australian. The Scot rallies and manages to save all of them before lashing down an ace following a second deuce to take the advantage. Another big serve is then returned long by Matosevic as Muzza gets out of jail free to hold.
- - MURRAY 4-3 MATOSEVIC - An impressive service game from Mad Dog as he takes the game to 15 with a thunderous serve that Murray can only divert into the net. We're still waiting for this clash to really kick into life, but Muzza won't mind. He's a break up and looking strong.
- - MURRAY 4-2 MATOSEVIC - Solid if unspectacular from Murray as he fights off a strong challenge from the Aussie to maintain the break of serve with a game to 30.
- - Matosevic with a strange banana request at the change of ends that had the ball kid flummoxed.
- - MURRAY 3-2 MATOSEVIC - The Aussie is warming to the challenge. A blockbusting forehand winner is followed hot on the heels by a magnificently disguised drop shot from deep. Murray rallies briefly before fizzing a shot down the line into the net at 40-30.
- - MURRAY 3-1 MATOSEVIC - Murray is forced to battle his way out of a difficult situation on two occasions before finally serving out the game from deuce. At 15-30 he wins a superb 17-shot rally with a cute volley at the net before a thumping ace saves a break point. Matosevic then goes close with two attempted winners but they both fly millimetres out and Murray holds.
- - MURRAY 2-1 MATOSEVIC - An important hold for the big Aussie who follows up some astute play at the net with a superb ace to lead 40-15. Murray then fizzes a forehand return long to ensure Mad Dog is up a running on the board.
- - MURRAY 2-0 MATOSEVIC - It's been a confident and solid start from the Scot as he eases through his opening service game to love. The pundits said he'd have no problem this afternoon and the early signs are very good for the seventh seed.
- - BREAK! MURRAY 1-0 MATOSEVIC - Perfect start for Murray who takes advantage of some nervy errors from his opponent to tee up two break points. The first goes begging but despite fighting back to deuce, the Australian eventually fires long to find himself immediately up against it.
- - Matosevic will serve first...
- - The players are now out on court and running through their usual pre-match routines. How far can Murray go in this year's competition? It's not his favoured surface and he has struggled for form since injury, but there have been signs of him returning to his best form in patches. Once he hits a bit of consistency he should be right up there challenging again.
- - Matosevic embarked upon a long roll of joy on the red clay court after ending his 12-match losing run. Speaking after his maiden success, he spoke to amused reporters about his win and his nickname. He said: "Yeah, we have a lot of fun in the locker room with all the boys. But losing is never fun. I mean it’s tough when you’re on 13. I got to 39 in the world, so I thought, I’ve got to do it, I’m better than this."
- - Murray's views on the man the players nickname 'Mad Dog' in the locker room? “I get on very well with Marinko,” he said. “He’s a funny guy. He’s a good ball striker and he’s had some good wins on the Tour, maybe a bit up and down, but he can play good tennis.”
- - This is the second ever meeting between the two players. Murray came out on top in the first meeting with a 6-2, 6-2 success in London last year.
- - It was 13th time lucky for the Australian who had lost all 12 of his previous singles encounters at Grand Slam events. He is the only Aussie to have reached this year's second round in the men's draw.
- - Meanwhile, Matosevic ousted German Dustin Brown 7-6, 6-4, 6-7, 7-5.
- - Murray saw off Andrey Golubev 6-1, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 in round one.
- - Good afternoon and welcome to game-by-game live text coverage of Andy Murray's second round clash with Marinko Matosevic. Britain's great hope will be out on court one as soon as Guillermo Garcia-Lopez's showdown with Adrian Mannamarino has concluded.
|Date of Birth||08/08/1985|
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|